Dual lever slips forward-neutral: cable moves from vibrations?

t-osu

Cadet
Hi all,
I have recently had issues with my 1979 35HP johnson dual lever controller. It slips from forward to neutral while driving. At first I thought it was a cable tightening/loosening issue, but I've played with that quite a bit and it hasn't made a difference. Then I thought maybe something happened where the shift rods connect between the upper and lower unit, but I also checked those out and they seem fine. I was changing the gears by hand with the lever next to the outboard instead of using the dual lever control so I could see that rock, roll, lever arm...thing...please see photo attached I don't know what it's called, but that also was going all the way into the crooks that it's supposed to for reverse, neutral, and forward so I think that's fine.

Then I took it out for a drive today and was just watching the dual lever arm. I put it into forward, felt it "lock" into place, then as I was driving it seemed like the bumps from the waves was slowly pushing it back back back, until it falls into the neutral range.
Would this be a cable issue still? When I was out on the water today I loosened and tightened it as much as it could just to be sure. Of course, as I loosened it did nothing because it eventually couldn't shift into gear, but tightening it didn't help either, it always started slowly moving back from what seems to be the vibrations of the water.

Any thoughts? Do I need a different rock/roll/lever system, or dual lever control that is maybe not so easy to shift?
Thanks!
IMG_20230126_170719.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... The most likely cause of yer issue is,.....
The dog-clutch dogs are worn, in the lower unit,....