Dual Binnacle controls for a Mercury/Yamaha combo

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 9.9 Yamaha kicker, and a Mercury 150HP main outboard. I'd like to put a dual binnacle control on the console, but how do I hook Yamaha and Merc shift/throttle cables to one? Which dual control box is easiest to do it with?

thanks

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dual Binnacle controls for a Mercury/Yamaha combo

I have a 9.9 Yamaha kicker, and a Mercury 150HP main outboard. I'd like to put a dual binnacle control on the console, but how do I hook Yamaha and Merc shift/throttle cables to one? Which dual control box is easiest to do it with?

thanks

Anybody?

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Based on a response from Teleflex/Morse, the OMC controls will NOT work with the Yamaha/Merc combination motor setup that I have. The response from them on my question was:

"Let's start with Mercury cables can not be used in an OMC control.
I will need to know what the cable part number is on the cables you are calling Standard cables.

Yamaha engines use the 33C style control cables with Yamaha only ends on them.

That OMC control is probably set up to the control cables for both Throttle and shift where the Mercury out board engine needs the cables to be pulled for throttle and shift. The same goes for the smaller Yamaha engines."
You will have to get with OMC and see if the control can be changed.

The only way you can do it is get 4 33C style control cables the best would be CCX633XX ( XX = cable length in feet from end to end)
Two adapter kits to attach the cables to the control
304939 which sells at a list price of $85.24 each
Then you would need one Mercury engine adapter kit
CA27319P which sells at a list price of $20.59
Plus the cost of the cables.

All that being said I can not guarantee that control will have enough throw for the engines you are running.
You could just buy one of our CH7800 series of controls re use the old Mercury cables then get the 33C cables for the kicker motor which should come with the hardware kit for the cables.
Most likely CH7841P will be your choice"

The bottom line is that I am hoping to get a Yamaha 704 Binnacle control, and then just run with two single lever binnacle mount control boxes (the existing Merc and the Yamaha 704 additionally). Then, I will just need the Yamaha cables for the kicker connection.

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wound up buying a Morse Universal-style binnacle single control box, while in FL and finding Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft. Pierce, FL. A veritable treasure-trove of new and used marine items, with everything you could want for a boat. I also went down and canvassed the Dania Marine Flea Market, which is billed as the World's Largest Marine Flea Market. Didn't find what I wanted there, but that's another story.

Anyway, the Morse control will accept any brand of cable ends, and I ordered the outboard connector ends for the Teleflex 33c style of cables (10-32 threaded ends to accept multiple brand connections). I just bought a key switch to mount in the console to start and stop the Yamaha T9.9 motor, and will either fabricate a connector link for steering the two outboards from the helm, or buy a link that works in this application.