Dual batteries

wgr270

Cadet
My boat, 22' W/A 200hp Suzuki EFI 2 stroke.<br /><br />Came with 2 Deep cell batterie with low crank amps. <br />I bought 1 Exide starting battery with 1000 amps and everything on the boat works, starting, electronics, lights.<br />What should my 2nd battery be? Deep cell?<br /><br />I was under the assumption that my electronics worked off one battery and started of the other which isnt the case.<br /><br />Thanks for any help!<br />Rick

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dual batteries

There is some good information on Dual Batteries in the FAQ Forum Section<br /><br />Do you have a battery isolation switch on the vessel? (switch to select battery 1 or 2 or both or off)

wgr270

Cadet

I do have an isolation switch.<br /><br />correction...the old batteries were starting/deep cycle.<br /><br />I mostly only run the electronics while the boat is running. Except for the vhf and stereo. From what I gather you want deep cycle to run things longer without being charged by the engine.<br /><br />So should my 2nd battery by deep cycle and I'd switch to this when just sitting listening to the rado?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Starting batteries can only be discharged about 20 percent without doing damage. Deep cycle can be discharge to about 50 percent without damage. VHF transmiter and Stereo about the biggest drain you have on a battery. Electric trolling motor if you have one needs a big deep cycle battery. One other large draw on battery is lights.<br /><br />I am not a big fan of battery switches. If you get the right type you can switch with motor running without dammage if every thing works right. Switch needs to have a field disconnect circuit or be a make before break type for you to switch with motor running. Safer for your alternator to never switch with motor running.<br /><br />I much prefer a battery isolator to charge both batteries without having to turn your switch.<br /><br />Best If you wire your boat so that everything needed to run your boat is wired to your starting battery. Starter, navigation lights, Bildge blower, bidgle pumps, trim motors, horn, wipers.<br />Then wire everything else to the second battery. Trolling motor, VHF, Stereo, Fish finder, GPS, accessary outlets, Loran C to the deep cycle battery.<br /><br />Make sure your recharge both battery as soon as possible. Also charge both batteries as least once a month.<br /><br /> http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm