Dual Batteries good idea or overkill?

Dual Batteries good idea or overkill?

• I have upgraded to dual batteries and love the extra protection.

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • One battery is all you really need.

Votes: 22 9.1%
  • My boat came with a dual bettery setup.

Votes: 74 30.6%

• Total voters

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Dual Batteries good idea or overkill?

I have two and wouldn't change it,.... My neighbor has a 200 johnson and I have seen him rope start it... I couldn't belive it...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

i was considering getting a second battery. I got one of those nifty jump boxes i still have to test it. But It should give plenty of juice to start if i kill my motor with my trolling motor. i am only trying to start a 40 hp yamaha.
But my main question is will i really hurt my deep cycle battery if i use it for starting. I did buy the biggest one walmart carried. My dad has always used his deep cycle battery for trolling and starting. Just trying to compare what he did to all your info.
thanks
D

"Deep cycle" batteries are designed to be discharged to a greater degree than "Starting" batteries without sustaining the damage a starting battery would. That said the deep cycle is not able to provide the very high currents that a starting battery can. You're just running a 40 Yam, so the starting current shouldn't be too high (compared to an inboard V8). You should be ok with a deep cycle.

Chris............

wow rope starting a 200 hp how i dont think my arm could take that and i cut grass for my second job allot of pulling nayway thank you so much for the info

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My story of why I have two batteries

My story of why I have two batteries

Most important question on two batteries or one is, "What am I trying to prevent?".

The answer will help you decide what's right for you. If you're waterskiing above Niagara Falls you will value an anchor very highly, most people I know in that area carry three.

I scuba in Lake Ontario and one day we were lucky to have easy weather when our one battery failed. It took a full hour of hard paddling to get to shore (less than a mile), then 30 minutes in the water pushing the boat along the shore to meet up with a sailboat that couldn't get to us because the water was too shallow. He had two batteries wired in, and a third as spare sitting on a shelf in the engine room. We ended up boosting ours using, get this, the chrome plated steel tubes that are supports for our waterski rope tripod. That was crazy in a couple of ways but they were the only things available and they worked. I'm actually surprised they did because of how hard chrome is we definitely weren't getting much contact with the battery posts, and it couldn't have been done with less than three people, that's for sure.

We now have two batteries. No switch but the tools to swap them if need be, and we take the spare out every now and then to keep it charged.

If our paddling hadn't worked, or the wind blew up we could have easily been looking at an overnight drift to Rochester (about 50 miles) across Lake Ontario, which has a pretty good number of big friggin lake freighters on it.

That's why we have two batteries on our boat!

16' fibreglass bow rider, circa 1975, with 85 hp Merc 4 cyl 2 stroke, circa 1983

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My boat is only 17.5 feet and I have two batteries and a Perko. I start/run with one and then switch to the other to use the trolling motor. That way I don't have to worry if I run the #2 battery down fishing. I also have a pull start kicker so, one way or another, I will get home on my own.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been told that it's the rectifiers that take the hit when you have too much battery bank, not the alternators. I understand that the deep cycle batteries can be hard on the rectifier. How true?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've been told that it's the rectifiers that take the hit when you have too much battery bank, not the alternators. I understand that the deep cycle batteries can be hard on the rectifier. How true?

Not true at all.

The rectifier diodes have a much higher rating (voltage and current) than the alternator stator can produce.

Chris............

waterinthefuel

Commander

I use a single, heavy duty, deep cycle battery in my boat and I love it!!! Instead of having a so-so battery for my trolling motor and another cranking battery for the engine, I wired everything to run out of the back battery. I use the voltmeter on my depthsounder as a battery monitor. I have a bilge pump, aerator pump, sonar, VHF radio and running lights. Never had a problem. I have more battery juice available now with the 1 good then I did with the 2 so-so's! Not to mention I dont have the room taken up in my little boat with 2 batteries.

No need for a second battery if you closely watch the first.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not true... The characteristics of an alternator are that the output is self limiting, by the resistance of the stator windings. If an alternator fried it was because of an internal fault, not an overload. All that should happen if the current load is more than the alternator can provide is that the battery/s start to discharge. Once the load is removed the alternator can then start to recharge the battery/s.

Chris.........

P.S. I have two HUGE(N70ZZ) batteries and a dual battery isolation switch in my boat. I can't get out and push. :eek:

Granted it is not known whether the alternator had an internal failure as it was never tested only replaced. Still, based on the following I have to disagree.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/12volt.htm

Battery Charging

If you don't replace what you use, your batteries will eventually go dead, no matter how much battery capacity you have on your boat.

The rate at which you can recharge your batteries depends on a number of factors, including how much you discharged them, the temperature, the alternator's power (in amps) and its output (in volts).

Most boats charge their batteries with an engine-driven alternator. If your engine running time is minimal, you want to charge as quickly as possible, without damaging the battery. Battery damage begins when the internal temperature becomes too high, causing it to gas and heat up. If it feels warm to the touch, it's getting too hot. Use a voltage regulator to taper off the charge to prevent this.

Alternators are rated in amps; the rating refers to the maximum output in one hour at a certain temperature and rotation speed. Typical automotive alternators can't run continuously at full load in the warm temperatures found around boat engines, or in warm climates. A suitable marine alternator will be rated at full continuous load at temperatures up to 200?F.

You will need about 120% of the energy you used to restore it. And to prolong the life of your alternator, plan on running it at less than full output. Take into account any other power-draining loads you might be adding to the system as you are recharging, such as refrigeration. If you install an oversized alternator, you can recharge efficiently while at anchor, with the engine at idle and the alternator operating below its rated speed and output. In general, charging capability should be approximately one third of battery capacity, plus any additional loads as mentioned.

The speed of your alternator's rotation is a function of engine rpms and pulley size. Once you have determined the maximum alternator output you require, add 25% so you won't have to operate it at full bore to achieve the required results. Now check how many alternator rpms it takes to reach that output. Then figure the minimum engine rpms at which you will be charging. You need a pulley ratio that gives you maximum required output at your minimum engine speed. If you need 110 amps, and it takes an alternator rpm of 4,000 to generate it, and your engine is running at 1,000 rpms, then you need a 4:1 pulley. Make sure that if you punch your engine up to 3,000 rpms, thereby increasing your alternator speed to 12,000, you are not exceeding maximum safe alternator speed.

dca2

Cadet

My boat (Triton Fish and Ski rig) has a 150 Johnson, 1 crank battery, 24v trolling w/ 2 deep cycles. Everything is patched into a factory installed onboard charger.

Question: When engine is off, I assume the radio, fish finder, lights, etc. are running off the crank battery. Do the 2 deep cycles use some voodoo to keep the crank battery topped off? If not and it goes dead, I guess a manual switch of the statring cables to a deep cycle is in order.

Is there a simpler solution to start from the deep cycles (they are on the other side of the boat in a separate compartment)?

whew

Dave

Dunique

Recruit

If you have any electronics on board, even a stereo then you need an extra battery. sometimes you loose track of time at anchor with the stero going only to find out you don't have enough power to start your boat again. The weight of an extra battery is not that bad as long as you have room for it - get one.

magster65

Commander

I use 2. My 26' Tolly had 3.
If you're on the hook with your music and lights on... maybe a movie... better safe than sorry.

cbavier

Lieutenant

"Deep cycle" batteries are designed to be discharged to a greater degree than "Starting" batteries without sustaining the damage a starting battery would. That said the deep cycle is not able to provide the very high currents that a starting battery can. You're just running a 40 Yam, so the starting current shouldn't be too high (compared to an inboard V8). You should be ok with a deep cycle.

Chris............

Chris or anyone else: what about Dual Purpose Batteries? Are they damaged by deep discharged? Would a Dual Purpose Battery be damaged by using a portable Jump start?

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one in my 17 foot Glastron and want two. I want to locate them in the front of the boat to balance the weight better.
Right now in the transom area there is too much weight. With the 70hp merc, 10 gallons of fuel, a 4.5hp kicker, 5 gallons of fuel for that, and the single battery, the back of the boat is pretty low. Add a 200 pound +- guy fishing and a good wake and it would be swamped.
What size wire should I use to make the run to the front of the boat? I was told 10 ga stranded but my gut says overkill is better so I'm thinking of 8 ga.
Also, how many fused circuits should I have? Lights, sonar, vhf, bilge pump and a stereo this summer. One circuit each?

Thanks,
Grant

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a small OB that you can rope start all you need is 1 batt.

Fuzzey

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My current boat has 7 batteries, a starting battery for each engine, a starting battery for the 5kw gen set, and 4 6v golf cart batteries in two banks for house batteries.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

3 batteries on mine. Came with two for starting and electronics. Still need to separate them but have not had any issues running a ff and two downriggers where I could not start the main motor. Just make sure to plug them in when I get home.

Have just added a third for a trolling motor. Haven't figured out where I'm mounting it yet but got a blue top optima. Have to actually use it this weekend to see how I like trolling with the electric vs the kicker. At 55lbs of thrust, I think I will like it.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you can over kill that idea. If ya can't start your car it is just a walk or a cell phone call for someone to come help. On the water it is a different story. Don't know where you boat or how big it is, but if the weather changes and you can't get started it is a disaster. I put dual batteries on mine and I always carry a jump box too. Not only for me but for other boaters that might need some help. Jump box is a lot easer that jumper cables.LOL

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

we have two and a pull start kicker along with towing insurance.

Our first battery is on the main bank and has all of our navigational necessities - lights, horn, bilge, vhs... charged by the alternator.

Our second bank has the fishfinder and stereo - any of our toys and can-live-withouts.

We use a trickle charger that distributes the load based on the need of the battery. Love it - but want to move toward the perko in the future.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Fishing boat has one starter and one trolling motor battery. It only has a 40hp, and can be easily started by manual start rope. No need to remove cover and wrap rope around pulley. When starter battery was marginal, there was a couple of times it was run down, and pull start required.

The 20' I/O bowrider has one starting battery. It does have more cranking and reserve than the "standard" one that came with it. We have it on a smallish lake and do not generally use power when drifting or anchored. Sometimes the stereo is on low. That's about it. If we were on a large body of water and/or very isolated location, would probably forego the added weight and get a second battery. My concern would be more in line with dealing with a starting problem, than running the battery down on accesories.