DT 100 Stalls immediately when in gear

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice
New Fuel Filters 2007
Tuned up 2007
Carbs rebuilt by mechanic spring 2006
Used with no problem whatsoever 2006

The engine starts easily. I have used it with no problem for about 8-10 hours this year. Yesterday ran fine for 30 minutes. Then I put it in neutral. It stalled when put into gear. Tried for an hour till the tow came. Each time it started then stalled when put into gear. I started it today with the muffs easily. Again when put into gear it either sputtered then died or died immediately. In neutral, I can rev it to 4000-5000 no problem. I idled it hard for a couple of minutes yesterday while waiting - no problem till put into gear. I pulled the fuel/water and filter near the fuel pump today. No dirt or water. Where do I start?

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice
Re: DT 100 Stalls immediately when put in gear

Re: DT 100 Stalls immediately when put in gear

Ordered a fuel pump rebuild. That's one thing that is original on the motor. I have run the boat almost every week since it went to the marina first of May so the hours weren't continuous most trips are about 2 hours...

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice
Re: DT 100 Stalls immediately when in gear

Rebuilt the fuel pump but nothing's changed...

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice

No difference - forward or reverse - no sneeze - just cuts out when put under load... Starts fine - can rev it up with no problem either...

deejaycee_2000

Captain

that is weird, ok, try the following ... when the motor is off and in neutral ... does the prop turn freely by hand? right and left ..... and then in gear (with engine off) does it turn etc. ... and then in reverse too .... give me the feedback ..... when last was the lower unit gear oil changed?

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice

Changed the lower unit lube this spring. Weird thing is this: Motor starts. I have been able to run it in gear with the muffs. Also the prop spins really slow when using muffs out of the water even in neutral. I can start and rev it ok. Only when in the water (under load) does it seem to stall immediately. I never thought to pull the prop.

Laram51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem recently with a 225 hp and carried out an elimination exercise , we eventually had to change the CDI. It just would not take the load and would shut off every time.. you might want to do a check on the pack.

djfam

Seaman

Please keep us updated wih your progress. Your issue sounds the same as mine (see my post CRY FOR HELP - DT85) If it is the CDI, I would like to know. Let me know if you run any tests on it or replace it and things get better. I feel like I am clutching at straws nowadays so this would be helpful

DeeJay Cee...you helped me out in the past and I appreciate your input - let me know if you saw my thread. Thanks.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

All the advice sounds about right. I had the same issue with my old '79 Evinrude. I never checked the compression and when I first got it, I put it in the water and it idled wonderfully at the dock. Put it in reverse and it sputtered and stalled. Same thing in forward. I had to put it in reverse hard and immediately give it throttle so it wouldn't stall.

When I finally did a compression test, the #5 cylinder had no compression. I still don't know why. The #3 was at like 50 psi. All the others were around 85 psi. The motor was garbage. I looked, searched, stared at, changed gaskets, cleaned things. Nothing improved the compression.

You need to check all these things for sure. Compression, spark quality, ignition system. Even if you have good spark, the trigger could be bad. Check spark plug wires, check coil resistance, stator and trigger resistance, DVA output. All these things are critical to the motor's operation.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You need to check all these things for sure. Compression, spark quality, ignition system. Even if you have good spark, the trigger could be bad. Check spark plug wires, check coil resistance, stator and trigger resistance, DVA output. All these things are critical to the motor's operation.

I agree here, a CDI failure is very rare on a suzuki, now that I think about it more and more, when the motor is idling on muffs, check that you have spark on all cylinders but this is more pointing to a combination of timing and ignition related .......

djfam

Seaman

Bgbird...did you get the motor back? Anxious to hear what the diagnosis was.

bgbird

Seaman Apprentice

Got the motor back and here is the story:

Saturday:
Mechanic told me that the top carb was bone dry - no fuel there. He also looked at the other carb and pulled and cleaned the jets. No issues there. He thinks that the float somehow stuck on the top carb so he replaced it and readjusted it. I put the boat into the water. He too maintains that DCIs don't go bad very often (he only replaced 3 in 12 years - with 2 being immersed in salt water). He was mystified and pulled the lower unit to see if there was any problem there - but it was good. He also performed a compression test and all cylinders graded equally. I think that he said that the number was 105 with the engine cold and throttle closed. He seemed to think that it would be higher with the engine warm and throttle open. He also did what he called a "leak down" test and said that it only lost 5% (whatever that means). He felt that the engine was structurally sound.

Saturday Afternoon:
Launched boat - sarted with just a touch. Ran 1/2 mile @ 1200 (wake restricted). Shifted to idle - then the boat died when put in gear - dropped anchor. Starting now got harder - Sometimes I would have to crank for 20 seconds (no joy) / pause for a minute or two / retry/ etc 5 or more times till start. Eventually, I was always able to restart, idle and rev it up. When put into gear however, failed immediately - no sneeze or cough - just cut out.

Sunday:
I still suspected fuel (since my anti-siphon seems to require quite a bit of pressure - although the boat has been run on it for 8 years). Went to high volume gas station (fresh gas truck every day in the summer) and filled a 6 gallon tank. Wanted to try fresh fuel. Connected it to fuel system - Now it isn't restricted in any way (no fuel/water separator, anti siphon etc). Started with just a touch of the key and ran in gear with the muffs in the driveway. Launched boat. Started fine. Ran at various speeds 1500-5500 rpm for 30-45 minutes - used 3 or 4 gallons. Returned to dock and turned off motor. After 5 minutes, restarted - still same tank - but now idle slightly rougher than before. Engine still idled and would rev in idle. Put into gear - immediate failure. Restart (but became harder) - same failure. Tried about 10 times - would not run in gear - but would always idle without issue. Got towed back to the dock.

Pulled the boat. I give up on Suzuki! I'm going to repower the boat with a new Yamaha 115 4 stroke. Given how I use the boat, (close in inlet fishing near rocks, and shoals etc.), as well as some outside fishing, the uncertain performance isn't acceptable. Also given it's recent history (been towed back last 3 times) - my family won't set foot on the thing. With the new Yamaha, my boat yard will service there (I'm racked stored inside) - so every trip to the Suzuki service guy won't involve trailering the boat 20 miles one-way and take 2-3 weeks. In the South Jersey area, seems to be a ton of Yamahs, quite a few Mercs and the rest spread between Evenrudes, and Honda's so that also tells me something...
The mechanic at my marina maintains that that the Yammi 4 strokes have been pretty much problem free.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any kind of adjustment that can be made to the neutral safety switch ??? Maybe even bypass it to see if that's the problem ??? Logically, it seems like something like that or a heat related component failure (CDI).

What year is the motor, and do you want to sell it ???

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i would rebuild the carbs not clean
check fuel pump
sounds like vapor lock