drums or disc ?suggestion wanted

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice
I am buying a 24/26 ace trailer 7000# wgt. I can get either drums or disc. brakes on all axles . I have no expierence with either .need help making decision.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: drums or disc ?suggestion wanted

Disk.<br /><br />Next question?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Disc brakes cool better, are lower maintenance, have less moving parts to fail/rust/bind/get dirty, stop faster, don't fade as easily, shed water better...the list goes on. That's why most of today's cars have gone to 4 wheel disc, while back in the 60's and earlier it wasn't uncommon for cars to have 4 wheel drums that didn't stop worth a darn. Discs are superior in every way.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go with discs, especially on a 7000 pound trailer.

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys. disk it is had a concern because read about backup problems with disk.

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The backup problem is solved by use of a lockout solenoid that is installed in the brake line after the master cylinder in the tongue actuator. It is wired to your reverse lights so that it is activated whenever you put your tow vehicle in reverse. It's an electronic valve that prevents the brake fluid from being sent to the calipers.<br /><br />If Ace Trailers is offering disc brakes as an option, they should install the solenoid as part of the package.

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

THANKs ahein I checked the trailer has disk brakes but it does not have that switch .I would think it should be standard item with disk brakes. I am now having second thoughts about ace trailers.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I'd still go with disk, it shouldn't be hard to get the solenoid installed elsewhere by a competent trailer service yard.<br /><br />The one thing I would check though is the composition of the disk calipers. If they have a steel pin system to retain the pads with and a high magnesium content in the bodies then you might find servicing somewhat expensive as they have a habit of siezing solid when they get wet.Very little will shift them short of cutting them out.I find this problem on bikes a lot, even with stainless pins (granted not as bad as steel drums but it's cheaper to replace a drum than a caliper)

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can buy a reversing solenoid here http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4444&categoryID=155. Installation is pretty simple. Like I said, the solenoid is installed in the brake line after the master cylinder, and then it is wired to your reverse lights on the tow vehicle. I don't know what you're using for a tow vehicle but if it has a seven-pin trailer plug in the rear bumper, the center pin is the reverse light circuit. You can buy an adapter to plug into the tow vehicle and just wire the solenoid to the center terminal. Or, as Nos4r2 suggested, any trailer service yard could do the installation. I'd talk to Ace Trailers first, though, and see if they will include the solenoid and installation as part of the brake package.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey i guess you guys have the bronze rotor and alloy and stainless calipers "over there" if you don't get someone to import them as they are great, put out by a company in Australia called Baines can find a web link if you are interested

happy hooker

Seaman Apprentice

looks like I have a $50.00 barting to do on the trailer.checked with eastern marine seem easy enought to install. thanks