dropping into neutral problem

Geetarpicker

Recruit
Hello,
I recently bought a older boat.Its seems to be a good boat though.I ran it on lake North Fork here in Missouri for about 4 hrs last Sunday.The guy I got it froms brother died from cancer and had put quite a bit of work into it.Had the boat motor rebuilt,new reverse dog put in it ect,ner shifting lever,.The motor seemed to run fine although it wanted to flood after you had run the motor for awhile and shut it off to fish.It only seemed to try to flood a little then.The question I have for the experts though is when you raise the shifting lever into the vertical position it didnt want to go into nuetral.I had to wiggle it back and forth quite a bit to get it to slip out of gear.Goes into reverse fine and out of reverse fine too.Any Ideas?It is a 1977 Johnson 4 cylinder.Any help or suggested parts would be appreciated....Don R

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dropping into neutral problem

What is the engine model number, picker?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's hard to say where the slack is without an on-site inspection. Sounds like there is something loose. Or it could simply be a shift cable that is out of adjustment at the motor end.

Geetarpicker

Recruit

Jb...Thanks for the reply I will get the model number this evening and post after work.....FR....Charley the guy that had owned te boat had messed with the problem quite a bit trying to iron out the problem.But they said it was in the linkage?Hope this helps....Don R

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the linkage is correct, is there any side to side play in the control handle? The nylon bushing may be worn out , or the retaining screw has come loose.

Geetarpicker

Recruit

R Johnson,
Actually no theres no side to side slop at all.Its really tight and hard to push foreward when giving it fuel.Charley put a new lever and assembly on it.And it looks new too......Don

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That lever should not be hard to push forward. Remove the cable from the engine,and see what it feels like