Driving Techniques

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,<br /><br />I just bought an '89 F-150 inline 6 cyl with 4 speed stick shift to tow my fishing boats. The manual says that, with the rear end in my truck, it can tow up to 4,000 pounds if the towed frontal area is 60 square feet or less. That represents a 7.5' by 7.5' (or smaller) square. <br /><br />The above is ideal for me because I will only be towing flats boats no larger than 18' and the boat and trailer combinations should easily meet the weight and frontal area requirements. However, I have a question.<br /><br />The weak point in my system is the clutch. So, is there any advice as to the proper driving techniques to maximize clutch life?<br /><br />Thanks

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Driving Techniques

Oneoldude,<br /><br />I'm surprised that you think the clutch is the weak point. Nearly all the vehicles here are manual,and clutches are very rarely any problem when they're used for towing.<br /><br />But there are a few golden rules. <br /><br />Basically - don't slip it!<br /><br />For instance - don't hold the rig on an incline with the clutch. Don't hold the clutch pedal down while idling in gear - doesn't wear the clutch, but it can shorten the life of the thrust race. Get the clutch fully engaged as quickly as poss when lugging up a slipway. If it's not auto-adjust, check and keep the correct adjustment.<br /><br />You've bought more work on your boat restoration than ever on maintaining your clutch!

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by stillfishing:<br /> Oneoldude,<br /><br />You've bought more work on your boat restoration than ever on maintaining your clutch!
Yes, the boat project will be a lot of work, but it will be fun, except for a bit of itching.<br /><br />Here in the U.S. the manufacturers reccomend auto transmissions for towing applications. In fact, an otherwise identical truck with an auto is rated for higher towing weight than with a stick. The argument is that the torque multiplication of the converter works to your advantage and you do not have a clutch to get glazed if you slip it. I think it will be a good trick to lock up the clutch when pulling a boat up a ramp. That is a technique I will have to learn. <br /><br />Thanks for the reply

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Is the first gear on that 4 speed a granny? If so, that will make life great on the ramp and miserable on the road, as you'll have to start in second on level surfaces. I wouldn't worry a lot about the clutch. If you want, you could install a heavy duty clutch/pressure plate, that'll give more peace of mind. Clutches are cheap for those rigs, just drive and enjoy.

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> Is the first gear on that 4 speed a granny? If so, that will make life great on the ramp and miserable on the road, as you'll have to start in second on level surfaces. I wouldn't worry a lot about the clutch. If you want, you could install a heavy duty clutch/pressure plate, that'll give more peace of mind. Clutches are cheap for those rigs, just drive and enjoy.
Actually my tranny has 4 speeds and an overdrive so it should really be called a 5 speed. The owner's manual is almost undecypherable in the realm of transmission options. It does identify a heavy duty Z-F 5-speed "Creeper" transmission, but I do not know if I have one and do not know how to tell. In one place the manual suggests shifting from 1st to 2nd at 4MPH and in another at 10 MPH. In one place it suggests always starting in 1st gear and in another it suggests starting in 2nd unless heavily loaded or on a grade. It is all very confusing because I cannot tell what options I have installed in my truck. Therefore, I do not know if my first gear is a "granny" gear or not.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

If it makes you feel better, I have a '68 Ford F100. The speedo doesn't count hundred thousand miles, so true mileage is unknown. I have owned it for 5 years and have towed: 16 foot cattle trailer with 4 horses, moved my household with trailer, 12 foot popup camper, 21 foot boat, and pulled a parts truck. I don't know the true age of the clutch, but all my work hasn't shown any weakness. I now have a 4-on-the-floor tranny, original was 3-0n-the-tree. I don't think that first gear on mine is a granny gear, but it is plenty low and I usually start in 2nd when I'm not towing.

JRJ

Commander

I also drive a 6 with a 5-speed. Care of a clutch starts with using it as little as possable and never "rideing" it. From a stand still, use a low enough gear that you can "idle out", and then apply power, upshift, etc. Using low gear requires more shifting, but your clutch will last longer. Autos are easier for woman, old folks,& kids. I like 'em too because my knee catches sometimes when I'm double clutchen old duplex's.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by oneoldude:<br /><br /><br />The weak point in my system is the clutch. So, is there any advice as to the proper driving techniques to maximize clutch life?<br /><br />
You may 'think' the clutch is the weakest point, but in the overall scheme of things it's absolutely nothing to worry about. When you need to slip it, slip it. If you need to ride it, ride it...you'll have plenty else to worry about doing your restoration -- get that boat out on the water; the clutch will be fine.

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Nick in Spartanburg, SC:<br /><br />
...you'll have plenty else to worry about doing your restoration --
You are right. For now the weather and early darkness (I'll be working outside) have kept me from doing much on the boat proper. Forty degrees F is COLD for this Florida native. But I have bought some tools, built a motor stand and been working on a temporary hoist for the motor. My most significant tool purchase was the truck. Now I can actually move the boat around and haul ply sheets, lumber, etc. as necessary.<br /><br />Soon I will be flipping the boat over and getting to work on the bottom. It is going to be a lot of work, but I can hardly wait.

Realgun

Commander

As to driving technique.<br />1. Never ever ride the clutch pedal.<br />As in at a stop light be in neutral. <br />Don't rest you foot on the clutch pedal ever.<br />2. Only give it enough gas not to stall and smoothly engage the clucth fully. <br />3. In shifting smooth will get you the best clutch life. <br />4. If you use the engine as a brake which we all need to do on occasion be sure to match revs then after clutch is fully engaged back off the gas.<br /><br />I bough a new Mustang and had a 5 speed manual. I drive it about a week before I drove my Dad somewhere. When we got out he asked me why I bought an Automatic!!! Now thats smooth.<br /><br />On most syncro manuals you can switch gears without the clutch. The secret is to know when.<br /><br />As long as your not spinning the motor and dragging the clucth you will be fine!

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys. I see that the rules for towing are no different than normal driving with a stick. Over the years I have owned many stick shift cars but have had only one experience with towing with a stick. <br /><br />I was towing a rented car carrier flat bed trailer with a formula V race car on it with my Bronco II six stick. Half way through the trip (on I75) the clutch started slipping and I ultimately had to slow down to about 35 MPH to make it back home. The clutch was roasted and that was on flat Florida land. I figured I was doing something wrong and that is why I started this thread.<br /><br />I guess I was going too fast (about 55) or my clutch was near shot when I started or maybe the load was too great. I guess I will have to be more careful with boats even though they are much lighter than the car carrier.<br /><br />Thanks All.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I would say that the clutch in the Bronco was already dead. You have a good truck to work with. It will hold up to alot more than what you are intending to use it for. One point to REMEMBER is to keep the fluid full. The ZF boxes will run you about $1200 minimum from a junk yard. They are prone to leak and need to fluid. Its pretty easy to do. On the drivers side the top plug comes out. Just fill with atf.

JRJ

Commander

Never had a manual trans that took ATF. What are ZF boxes?

Bondo

Staff member

Never had a manual trans that took ATF.
Many, Many standards have been oiled with ATF for 15 years or More........<br />They actually have an Oil Pump built into it, for pressurized lubrication.........

Kenneth Brown

Captain

ZF is a German made tranny used in lots of Ford trucks. The Mazda unit in some trucks is also pricey.

JRJ

Commander

Thanks for the update. The last 4-speed Ford I owned was a 1979. Hope they are better now days with the German trans & all. Mine worked fine for the 15 years I ran it.<br /><br />Have a Happy New Year!!!!!!