Driveshaft bearing race

3ric

Seaman
I have a 1987 Suzuki dt65 that I have no idea what the history is. I have been taking apart the lower unit to see if it is worth salvaging. All the components I have pulled so far seem to be in good shape. However, the driveshaft bearing pretty much fell apart when I pulled the driveshaft out.

I have two questions. 1. Is there a trick to pulling the race out of the drive shaft housing? I was planning on using a pilot bearing puller from harbor freight. 2. The inner bearing race appears to be stuck to the driveshaft, as though it got hot and welded itself on. But I just can’t tell from the parts diagrams if it is just part of the driveshaft. I attached a pic. I’m talking about the tapered part where the shaft transitions from thick to thin. Is that piece supposed to separate from the shaft?

Attachments

• 9EB42E13-DBAE-4872-99FD-7A418A69A1DA.jpeg
    9EB42E13-DBAE-4872-99FD-7A418A69A1DA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The bearing is shown as a separate piece.-------So use your grinder , weaken it and remove it from the shaft.-------And have a very good look at your gears considering that bearing was shot !!!

3ric

Seaman
The bearing is shown as a separate piece.-------So use your grinder , weaken it and remove it from the shaft.-------And have a very good look at your gears considering that bearing was shot !!!
Thank you for the reply! Is it a bare shaft the same diameter as the smaller diameter section of the shaft; so I know how deep to grind? Also, after I get it ground down, would I split it off with a chisel or nut splitter, or is the a more conventional method?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry-----It is a simple job to remove a bearing like that.----Hard to explain years of experience in one minute.

3ric

Seaman
Sorry-----It is a simple job to remove a bearing like that.----Hard to explain years of experience in one minute.
This is a good one to learn on, I saw a few videos. I think I know what I need to do, but wouldn’t have thought to do it nor had the confidence to try without your reply. Thanks again.

3ric

Seaman
This is a good one to learn on, I saw a few videos. I think I know what I need to do, but wouldn’t have thought to do it nor had the confidence to try without your reply. Thanks again.

3ric

Seaman
So I took your suggestion racerone, which I thank you as I would certainly not thought to try, and definitely would not have had the cajones to try if it were my idea. But it worked, and worked quite well. However, I did score the shaft up a bit. The arc of the Dremel was a bit more than I thought; it’s about half as deep as it is wide. And I made a small nick with a chisel when the race gave way (just to the left in the pic)
I attached a pic of the damage. Can I still call the operation a success? There is also a smaller cut on the other side

Attachments

• BF75A5E4-54F4-4253-8B61-03C7A927B491.jpeg
    BF75A5E4-54F4-4253-8B61-03C7A927B491.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6