Drinking while anchored & the law

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class
My state laws say you can't have more than a .08 BAC if you "have physical control of" the boat. If we anchor up for the night and break out a bottle of wine, could we be arrested? Seems possible. Who is in "physical control" of the boat? Seems rather undefined.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drinking while anchored & the law

Think of the worst that can happen. . . .and it will.

KRS

Banned

I have heard physical control described as<br /><br />1) key in the ignition<br /><br />or<br /><br />2) your action required to avoid a hazardous situation<br /><br />I would think that a boat at anchor would be subject to numerous perils and your action would be required if 1) flooding 2) vessel collision 3) fire, etc were to occur.<br /><br />With that understanding, I don't think you can drink in a boat while at anchor.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think all three of you are paranoid. If what SwampNut describes is truly the scenario of concern, this is a non-issue. With an extremely loose interpretation it could be argued that I have "physical control" of my boat if it is anchored directly in front of me while I am sitting on the beach . . .<br /><br />If any of you gets a DWI while at anchor I will help you demonstrate in the streets ;) <br /><br />
Originally posted by KRS:<br />I don't think you can drink in a boat while at anchor.
You can drink alcohol in a boat while going 100 MPH racing a police boat, you just can't be intoxicated . . .

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the one hand, it seems stupid that if you're obviously anchored for the night that any reasonable cop would give you a hard time for it. On the other hand, I have read about people getting a DUI on a riding mower in their yard, a local guy was arrested for going outside and sleeping it off in his truck after arguing with his wife (didn't drive, just slept in it), and similar stories.<br /><br />I was hoping someone had heard of specific cases one way or the other.

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by QC:<br /> You can drink alcohol in a boat while going 100 MPH racing a police boat, you just can't be intoxicated . . .
Open container laws don't apply to motorized boats?

KRS

Banned

from powerboats website...<br /><br />FACT: It is illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs (BUI) in every state in the U.S.<br /><br /><br />• The U.S. Coast Guard also enforces a Federal Law that prohibits BUI. This law pertains to all boats, from canoes to large ships, including foreign vessels operating in U.S. waters. In Canada, it is illegal to even have alcohol aboard a boat that does not have a cabin and a separate, closed locker in which to store the alcohol while underway.<br />****************<br />I checked out state's website, and it uses the "in control" of boat phrase, but doesn't give any more definition.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Open container is not illegal in WI, but BUI is definitely enforced.<br />Have a beer or two, you are ok. Have a 6'er or more, gonna cost you.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Open container is not illegal here (yet). And really, I'm rarely interested in drinking while out playing in the sun, it's just too tiring. But on a cruise, I certainly like to break out wine or beer with dinner. I have no idea what my BAC would be, nor do I want to have to worry about it.<br /><br />Obviously it's unlikely that my boat will be boarded and checked, but not completely unheard of. It just seems like no provision is made in the law for being at anchor, or even in a marina.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I understood the point about the semantics of the law. Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I just don't see that it would ever be an issue at anchor. If they watched you drink a sixer and then yank the anchor . . . well then that would be different.<br /><br />Almost every year, the first of the season, I pull up to one of the Havasu coppers and ask what, if any, new laws have been enacted. I usually ask about open container. They always say something like "yes, it is legal, but if we see it we are more likely to do a safety search". When I look at us compared to some of the knuckleheads on the lake I assume I am the least of their concerns . . .

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you sounded harsh, but I do think it's something to consider. I very frequently read about abuses of the DUI laws, such as the ones posted above (and just remembered another, a guy here got a DUI on a horse). While the water police seems to be far more reasonable and considerate than your average highway patrol tax collector, it's not a given that you'll be safe.<br /><br />I also found it interesting that our law uses "physical control" specifically instead of saying something more meaningful and clear.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SwampNut:<br /> I also found it interesting that our law uses "physical control" specifically instead of saying something more meaningful and clear.
Yup, the semantics are screwy . . .

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

My take on this law? As was just stated....Semantics. The police are of little concern with regards to this law. That's just a fine/no fine situation in a criminal case, and it won't have a long term effect on your life. The interpretation of this law verbage would far more likely be determined in a civil case. In fact, a civil case (not a criminal case) is probably what resulted in the CREATION of this law. It's the "other guy" who brings up this law in court who will be your big concern.<br /><br />As an insurance guy, I can easily forsee this scenario occurring:<br /><br />Anchored for the night, whole boatload is partying and blotto'd including you (the owner/captain/person in care, custody and control of the boat.) Suddenly SPLASH! MAN OVERBOARD. Doesn't matter how or why he fell off. Your close friend drowns (either the one who fell in, or the one who jumped in after him/her to stupidly try to save the first person), who also happens to be the primary breadwinner from another family. Doesn't matter how or why he died. Police respond to the scene, take blood tests as a matter of policy in an accidental death case, and they let you off scott free without even a ticket because they're human beings and figured you've suffered enough of a loss already (such police practice is very common in fatal accidents). <br /><br />But the dead friend's pregnant wife several months later takes you to court and her lawyer quotes this "physical control" law in court, and makes a case against you that because you were intoxicated (toxicology reports obtained from the routine police check), you had less opportunity to react accordingly to help save her husband's life. Therefore you should be held accountable for his death.<br /><br />So the only answer to this question is that which the court/judge/jury will provide in such a scenario. If they interpret the law liberally, you will be fould liable for the death and therefore held responsible for supporting the wife and her family, plus college educations for the kids, over the next 15 to 20 years, and it will cost you millions of $$$ along with having a dead friend on your concience. If they interpret the law conservatively, they will find in favor of the defendant (you) and you'll have nothing but a dead friend on your concience.<br /><br />And review your insurance policies. Any liability limit of less than a million smackers will be useless in a REAL accident. EVERYONE who owns a home and/or has a family needs an umbrella policy. Period. And if you're an aging guy with a big 401k balance and dreams of a comfy retirement....you should be looking beyond the $1M limit, probably closer to $5M. If you don't know what an umbrella is, that means you are an uneducated consumer and you're greatly underinsured. Talk to your agent and buy the best and cheapest insurance product you'll never use (hopefully). If your insurance carrier doesn't sell umbrellas, run VERY fast to a better insurance company and switch. NOW.<br /><br />I can't tell you the number of times I've heard my insurance company say, "I'm sorry sir, I realize you have lost the accidental death suit for $1.2M, but your policy will only pay $250,000 because your policy clearly states a 250/500 liability limit. So I'll mail the plaintiff this $250,000 check today, but you will have to find the other $950,000 elsewhere. I wish I could be of more help...." (Incidentally, my insurance company employer doesn't sell umbrellas. BIG HOLE. So I get my paycheck from them, but I buy all my insurance from a competitor who sells umbrellas.)<br /><br />In such a scenario, it is usually not a matter of simply declaring bankrupcy. First you sell your cars, boat, house, and liquidate your retirement savings. THEN they garnish your wages and take about $1,000 per month out of your paycheck for the next 17 years. THEN, and only THEN, will you be able to feel the sweet relief of bankruptcy if you still can't afford life. All because you hit a motorist changing the tire on the side of the interstate, or the mailman slipped/fell on your icy sidewalk, or your best friend fell off your boat & drowned, or whatever.<br /><br />OR.....spend $200 per year NOW on an umbrella and keep EVERYTHING you own if God forbid such things should happen to you.<br /><br />How's that for a sunshine post?! Sorry to drift off topic a bit. Have a great day, everyone. And party on, dudes!

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Coast Guard borded me one morning, while at anchor. I saw them coming, casually went back inside, next thing I knew they were tying up. Tried to let em know the wife was still sleeping, they didn't care. Never knew they could harass you at anchor either. As far as the drinking at anchor goes, I wouldn't overdose on the hard stuff. But if you're set up for an overnighter I wouldn't worry too much about a six pack or two. Middle of the day-at the beach or local anchorage I have to believe differs from after dark. Cause they may assume you'll be driving home later on.Besides, how many patrol boats are out after dark in the anchorages? Drink up!

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by QC:<br /> I understood the point about the semantics of the law. Sorry if I sounded harsh, ....
Not harsh.<br /><br />The original post asked for a definition of "physical control", not really our interpretation of what a law officer might do, just what the law states.<br /><br />I agree with you, I don't think an LO would have a problem with the "at anchor" scenario, but I do think it's illegal.

DHPMARINE

Captain

"physical control" will be someone on board at the time,if the owner isn't present.Generally selected by the officer in charge.<br /><br />DHP

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

The civil liability problem is easily cured; don't own anything. All of my property is in a foreign trust, and I'm a pauper on paper. Sue away. I was already the victim of a malicious suit once and when they figured out there was nothing to take, they made a motion to dismiss based on the fact that they probably could never collect (their own words). Frivolous suits can only exist where there is a bounty.<br /><br />Sounds like basically I'm at the mercy of the water police, the way our law is worded. Lovely. I called the state attorney's office to ask for a clarification, but it seems they no longer answer things like that to a mere commoner. I have to petition my local police (or police with relevant jurisdiction) to ask them.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm taking two things away from this thread:<br /><br />1) Get the umbrella policy<br /><br />2) Coasties can be jerks (there was another thread about being boarded about six months ago). How have pleasure boaters become such threats? I always figured those guys were our friends. What's up with that?

magster65

Commander

Having had the pleasure of talking to police on a few occasions (random checks now for safety and booze) they have stated this; <br />- alcohol cannot be consumed while under way.<br />- once you are anchored, at the dock or moored they consider the boat your residence.<br />- in order to fulfill the 'residence' criteria, the boat must have sleeping quarters and a head.<br />This perspective sounds reasonable enough to me.

tommays

Admiral

It will be and interesting summer here because we had some high profile BWI deaths in 2005.<br /><br />tommays