Drilling hole for depth finder

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 20 foot bowrider in which I installed a fish/depth finder about 3 years ago. Well, I never drilled a hole into the boat because I was afraid of what would happen if I did it wrong. I currently have the transducer wire coming over the swim platform and into the engine compartment and then fed through to the unit. I quess my question is, where would be the best place to drill the hole and what product would I use to close the hole?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drilling hole for depth finder

Drilling holes in boats is always freaky, but there is only one way to get over it . . . you'll find out it is not that big of a deal. I've even drilled them and then had to fill them because I f'ed up. Still not that big-o-deal. What you want is one of these:

5558.jpg

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense_Mini...12850367--**********.680757775--view_id.56430

Depending on the hull material, I would epoxy the insides of the hole I drilled, make sure they are well above the waterline, and make the hole just big enough to feed the wire through with some difficulty. Cover it with a clam shell vent ^^^ and voila.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

if it's a fiberglass hull just throw the transducer in the bilge, it works fine in there.

vess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sam is correct- you can epoxy it to the floor so it doesn't roll around. Find a spot where it works well and mark it so you know where to place it when gluing. It shouldn't be over a stringer.

Ned L

Commander

In order to mount a transducer inside a glass hull you also need to make sure that the part of the hull below the transducer is solid fiberglass (FRP) with no foam or wood core (includes plywood glassed in). Also, good size air bubbles in the laminates can cause issues. This method does work just fine when done right & then there is no need for hole drilling at all.

capt sam

basically what I do with a new boat is take a sock and put some sand in it to weigh down the transducer, then go out and try different spots while running the boat, once you find one that works well, epoxy it in.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A good product for sealing holes is 3M 5200 or 4200. 5200 takes longer to cure, needs a week out of the water, and it is permanent. 4200 cures quicker, like 24-48 hours and I understand it is easier to remove if necessary.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice Sam.

I too was wondering how to install a fish finder transducer without drilling the transom:)

Cheers!

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys for the information, this is my second fish/depth finder because the first one believe it or not was epoxy'd to the floor of the engine compartment and it would not operate correctly..after contacting Starcraft, they advised the engine floor for my SS model was solid and therefore would have to dig out some of the glass to install within the engine floor area..but the damage was done..that is why my only choice is to drill a hole.

HappierWet

How much difference does it make what position the transducer is in? I like the idea of mounting the 'ducer in the bilge, but the only plce I have access is directly above the keel. Also, it's a flush mount....kinda looks like a clamshell, I'm guessing that it has to be mounted vertically? It's a bottomline tournament 1101 that I picked up second hand, so no user's manual.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Drilling a screw-hole in your boat, especially below the waterline and regardless of the pains one takes to seal it, to install aftermarket electronics, or anything else for that matter, can be an unnerving experience. That gut feeling is usually pretty accurate even though we might not understand why. Unfortunately, many find out much too late. Many folks fail to question the consequences of those damaging leaks from the installation of aftermarket accessories. Typical boat warranties and boat insurance policies specifically address modification of the hull as "not covered".

Capt'n Chris