What about a Honda?

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have finally given up on my 93 Evinrude 50. It is a piece of junk. Maybe just one of those motors put together by junkies on a Monday morning. At any rate, my youngest son has volunteered to pay half for a new motor and I'm thinking Honda 4 stroke. Any reason other than cost to not go that route. I've only heard good things but know that that there must be a differing view out there. Thanks, Granpa

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What about a Honda?

Granpa,There is no question the Honda is a fine motor.With a good record.You should check into all the motors available including 2 strokes.<br /> Im pretty conservative and heres my beef with four strokes TOO MANY MOVING PARTS.To name some <br />piston,connecting rod,crankshaft,camshaft,cam<br />followers,valves,valvesprings.then there is the oil sump,oil pump,oil filter,crankcase ventilation<br />cam shaft belt or chain. On a 2 cycle you have<br /> a piston,connecting rod,and crankshaft.thats about it for moving parts.Some 4 strokes are adapted car motors.Doesnt sound state of the art to me.A state of the art 2 stroke is very competitive with a 4 stroke.In every area and will outperform a 4 stroke in some areas.<br /> If I was buying an outboard today I would look long and hard at a 2 stroke.They cost less too<br />and are usually much lighter.<br />Do your home work take as many test drives as possible in both.<br /> Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice speech, 'Spike, but this man is talking 50hp. How many DFI 50hp 2 strokes are there? NONE.<br /><br />Mercury and Johnson offer computer managed, fuel injected four strokes in that range (the Johnnys are made by Suzuki, the world leader in 4 stroke outboard technology). They are heavier than 50hp 2 strokes, and more expensive, but worth every cent.<br /><br />I use a Suzuki DF70 EFI 4 stroke and a Johnson 9.9hp 4 stroke on my 2 boats. I will NEVER buy another 2 stroke over 5 hp. Quiet, smooth non smokers that run all day on a tiny amount of straight gas. . .and do not smell. When you get below 5 hp weight makes a big difference and the OMC 3 and 4 hp 2 stroke twins are unexcelled in smoothness. :)

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

The Honda is almost as heavy as some new 2 strokes. The other 4 strokes are heavier.<br /><br />Don't let the cost for a total, or powerhead, rebuild scare you away from choosing a 4 stroke. That will be in 15-25 years or so if you will keep it that long.<br />All inboards are 4 strokes too. (Diesel's are different). Lack of maintenace will kill any engine.<br /><br />I think your choise is between more electronic controlled devices or a basic carbed engine. The difference in performance and fuel economy isn't that big if you ask me. If performance is your first concern (among the 4 strokes) walk away from the Honda. Choose one of these heavy competitors and enjoy the extra 3-4 mph @ WOT. ;) <br /><br />Honda vs Yamaha:<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=014998 <br /><br />Go 4 stroke!

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />I assume you are looking at Honda BF 50 then?<br />One thing that is maybe little more important for smaller boats is the wheight of the outboard engine. Honda BF 50 is lighter compared to other 50 Hp 4 stroke. BF 50 has a wheight of only 88-92 Kg (193-202 lbs) and that is about 10-20 Kg (22-44 lbs) lighter than most other 4 stroke 50 Hp (Suzuki DF 50, Yamaha F50, Mercury 50 EFi etc).<br />The BF 50 has carburators, not the latest electronic fuel injection, EFI (I belive Mercury and Suzuki has it on their newest 50 Hp 4 stroke, but not Yamaha). On the other hand carburators are maybe less expensive to repair if needed than electronic fuel injection system. But there are many advatanges also with electronic fuel injection system without carburators.<br /><br />Anyway, I just wanted to tell you about the wheight and EFI to consider.<br /><br />Since I do not have a Honda BF 50 I do not know how reliable it is, hope someone that has one can tell you.

Skinnywater

Commander

Gramps,why in the world would anyone want to talk you out of a Honda??<br />EFI means nothing if your powerpac,ECM,starter,fuelpump or cylinderhead is backordered 2 months out. EFI means nothing if your local dealer isn't reliable or if your dealer is 200 miles away. EFI means nothing if the product isn't available. EFI means nothing if there isn't a good dealer network. EFI means nothing if the rest of the product breaks. <br /><br />Reputation means everything.<br /><br />Salmon season's here and I'm averaging 30 hrs. a week with my BF50, backtrolling (idleing in gear)hours on end...6gals a day.......dang carberators....Honda has been stacking carbs for decades.....Single barrel Keinin carbs were always the best in the business. The throttle shafts would never wear out or needed bushed,floats wouldn't sink or stick and the linkage was always so tight the carbs would hardly ever need sync'ed.<br />EFI is better then carberators in ALMOST all situations. Cost, simplicity and ease of diagnosis/repair are important considerations.<br />This said, my Honda starts, idles, runs and does everything else like it HAS fuel injection and Honda built it with carberators!!....fine job they did. <br />Look at the entire package and go with the reputation.<br />How can you loose with that reputation???<br /><br />The BF50 is 203 lbs. The lightest 50hp 4 stroke.....by a lot. The entire BF50/40 package is a real winner......again, they did a fine job. <br /><br />No I don't sell or work for Honda, I just paid good money for a good reputation and a nice boat. <br />Since you asked about Honda's and not about Yamercevinjohnsuzuki-doos, I hope this helps in your quest.

Skinnywater

Commander

Gramps,why in the world would anyone want to talk you out of a Honda??<br />EFI means nothing if your powerpac,ECM,starter,fuelpump or cylinderhead is backordered 2 months out. EFI means nothing if your local dealer isn't reliable or if your dealer is 200 miles away. EFI means nothing if the product isn't available. EFI means nothing if there isn't a good dealer network. EFI means nothing if the rest of the product breaks. <br /><br />Reputation means everything.<br /><br />Salmon season's here and I'm averaging 30 hrs. a week with my BF50, backtrolling (idleing in gear)hours on end...6gals a day.......dang carberators....Honda has been stacking carbs for decades.....Single barrel Keinin carbs were always the best in the business. The throttle shafts would never wear out or needed bushed,floats wouldn't sink or stick and the linkage was always so tight the carbs would hardly ever need sync'ed.<br />EFI is better then carberators in ALMOST all situations. Cost, simplicity and ease of diagnosis/repair are important considerations.<br />This said, my Honda starts, idles, runs and does everything else like it HAS fuel injection and Honda built it with carberators!!....fine job they did. <br />Look at the entire package and go with the reputation.<br />How can you loose with that reputation???<br /><br />The BF50 is 203 lbs. The lightest 50hp 4 stroke.....by a lot. The entire BF50/40 package is a real winner......again, they did a fine job. <br /><br />No I don't sell or work for Honda, I just paid good money for a good reputation and a nice boat. <br />Since you asked about Honda's and not about Yamercevinjohnsuzuki-doos, I hope this helps in your quest.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Check out the TLDI-50 from Tohatsu/Nissan only 160 lbs. Meets all California restrictions and has a VERY good reputation......jus' make sure there is a service center near you if you ever need parts. 2 year warranty, very reliable and VERY cheap....comes with prop and tach included in price(don't let the dealer bs you otherwise) You should be able to buy this motor complete for about $4,500.00, at least you can here in Florida. http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/50tldi.html

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all for your input. We will make a decision this week. Even an old guy like Granpa is getting excited about a new engine room. I'll post some feed back after a while on our experience and differences in performance regardless of what we buy. Thanks again, Granpa