Draining water from SX drive

bblst

Cadet
Hello, I am in the process of winterizing my boat. I removed the drain plug on the side of the drive and no water came out. I look into the drain hole and it appears to have something that looks like a set screw with a slot in it. Poked at it and it almost seems like plastic. Does this need to be removed to drain the drive or could it be some gunk clogging up the hole. Thanks for the help. James

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Draining water from SX drive

Drives drain themselves of water by just being in the down position. What winterizing procedure are you following that wants you to drain the water from the drive by any other method?

bblst

Cadet

Drives drain themselves of water by just being in the down position. What winterizing procedure are you following that wants you to drain the water from the drive by any other method?

Hello, I am following the steps listed in the volvo penta workshop manual. The steps are listed in the section for off-season storage preparations. It states the this plug should be removed to drain the cavity in the pivot housing. I thought the same thing that lowering the drive would drain the unit. This is the first boat that I have to worry about winterizating so I want to be sure to follow all the steps required. I am still perplexed as to what is in that plug hole? The boat is running fine...cooling and exhausting fine, so I assume i do not have a blockage.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Asssuming you have an early SX drive, the manuals were basically copies of the OMC manuals. The drain plug on the port side of the pivot housing was for OMC, and goes to nothing on the SX. If you remove the plug, you just run into the water hose.

bblst

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Don. The boat is in a 95 Larson. Was able to track down that the engine is a 94 so the drive would be the same I guess. I can rest a little easier now.