Draining Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd like to drain my fuiel tank from my trophy 2002.. Its got a 150 Optimax.. any suggestions?

Biggest problem you're going to have is getting rid of the old gas. How old is the fuel? Does it have water in it? How much fuel are you looking at getting rid of? I have a 2006 Trophy 2002 with a 150 Opti also. I have used a electric fuel pump with a water separator filter and "polished" the fuel in the past. Hook the electric fuel pump intake up to the fuel line at the primer bulb and put the return line from the outlet of the water separator in the fuel filler. circulate the fuel for 15-30 minutes. Replace the water separator filter and circulate it again. I usually use a Sierra filter with a clear bottom so you can see if there is water in the fuel. can't say this is the absolute best way to clean the fuel but it has worked for me in the past. Just make sure and use a separate battery for the electric fuel pump so it doesn't drain you boat batteries. I'm sure there's pros & cons to this but I didn't have to find somewhere to dispose of old gas. Depending on how much gas you have in the tank, you can always use it in your lawnmower if it's not too contaminated.

Rellis80

Cadet
I would recommend pulling the access cover off the deck above the fuel sensor. Remove the fuel sensor and pump the tank dry from there.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rellis80 please avoid posting to old inactive topics.

Scrat hasnt been back on iboats since May 1 when he posted this.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.