Draining fuel on 04 crestliner

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recently purchased a 2004 crestliner superhawk,

2 reasons I want to drain the fuel.... the dealership had no idea how old the fuel was.....and my gas gauge is reading full and I would like to know before hand if that is accurate

It has a 17 gal fuel tank in the back... what are my options... ?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Hand pump is likely the cheapest and best option.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hand pump is likely the cheapest and best option.

Yea.... that's kinda what I was thinking... didnt know If maybe my the luck of the gods there was a simple drain plug... haha

oldjeep

Admiral
Siphon tube down the fill out to work fine. If you are just wondering about the fuel gauge then there should be somewhere that you can get a look at the fuel tank to visually see the level.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I open my battery compartment I can see the fuel tank but it's not opaque enough to see a level... or its completely empty... which is a bad sign... and I'll have to really keep track of my hours on water and gpH I burn. ..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Is there a lid on the right rear corner that you can open and see the tank? I believe the left side has the battery. I know, not nautical terms...Lol... Take a sample of the fuel. See if it looks and smells fresh and not varnishy.......

Edit: I see we were posting at the same time.....

Last edited:

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll look it the compartment on the "port/stern" side (taking a boaters education class figured I'd bust that one out lol)

Thanks

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You should be able to see the fuel. Maybe it's full? Try rocking the boat a little and see if the fuel sloshes around.... Sloshes, now we're getting nautical...Lol

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
HAHA! it's so nice here in ND for march.. I'm going to working on lower unit.today after work... I'll try shoshing the fuel ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's "sloshing", get your terms right...Lol I hear ya, I'm in WI, snow is melting fast....

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
It got up to 71? yesterday! ... Im hoping ice will be gone by next weekend on a small dam near my house. .. so anxious to get this boat out and test everything out from electronics to live well to motor!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can take off the fuel sender and see how high it is. I would probably have a new gasket ready though when I replaced it. That is also a good place to suck out the fuel with a pump or siphon.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You can take off the fuel sender and see how high it is. I would probably have a new gasket ready though when I replaced it. That is also a good place to suck out the fuel with a pump or siphon.

If he has access to it. My '03 doesn't....

Edit: Now that I think about it, it may be located under the cover on the splashwell..... Or whatever it's officially called.... My boat is offsite in storage....

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have never owned a boat where you couldn't access the fuel sender. Usually, it's right near where the fill hose and vent attach. Pretty necessary to have access to that area of the tank. My Wellcraft has a removable round hatch in the middle of the fiberglass floor.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I have never owned a boat where you couldn't access the fuel sender. Usually, it's right near where the fill hose and vent attach. Pretty necessary to have access to that area of the tank. My Wellcraft has a removable round hatch in the middle of the fiberglass floor.

My last 2 boats didn't have direct access, and would have needed an access port cut to get to it. I could see the sender, but it was out of reach and maybe an inch from the top of the fiberglass floor.

In any case, OP, I'd just stick your nose into the fuel filler and smell. Good gas and varnished/bad gas smell dramatically different. If it is good, top it off with fresh stuff, and wait for the ice to leave!

(not sure where you are at in ND, but the Missouri is open! Lots of fishing boats out and 2 brave souls on jet skis sunday. The lakes are still a little chunky but that will be gone after this week.)

Last edited:

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's a big black circle thing right behind the motor... looks to be about 8" in dia.? Looks like 4 or so screws hold it on...

oldjeep

Admiral
There's a big black circle thing right behind the motor... looks to be about 8" in dia.? Looks like 4 or so screws hold it on...

Right behind the motor should be water ;) Does it look like it unscrews from the outer part that is held with the 4 screws? Sounds like the cover in my floor that allows me to get to the front ballast pumps.

DP84B.jpg

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Haha yes I ment in front ;) but it looks exactly like that!

Then the middle part twists out - it'll be access for something that the mfg thought you should be able to get to. Don't remove the screws. IF it is too tight to get with your fingers then use a channel locks