Drainage Questions..

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class
So on my new to me Mako 231, I'm still trying to figure out what some of the thru hulls and drains do? I am clear on the self bailing drains that drain the water out of the cockpit area. On my boat they put these larger rectangular flaps for scuppers on them. Now I also have right in the middle above my bilge drain a larger hole that appears to run to what would be a livewell in the stern of my Mako. I'm not sure if this allows water in, is an overflow, or what its purpose is exactly (because there is also a thru hull on the bottom of the boat with a clam shell scoop).

The bigger question that I'm trying to find out is the two furthest thru hull with little scupper flaps on them. One on port side, one on the starboard side. On the starboard side there is a smaller hose connected to it and runs through the bilge towards the center of the hull it appears.

The port side little scupper is connected to a much larger hose and also appears to be headed towards the center of the hull.

Most everything on this boat drains out onto the deck and out through the typical self bailing scuppers. But obviously there is something else. I did dump a water bottle through one in floor hatch with a drain to see if water would drain out of one of these two scuppers, but did not see any water in the bilge or come out either scupper. The only two spots that have drains that I am aware of are the anchor locker up front and the in floor hatch just behind it on floor. Anyways. Here are some pictures...please help figure this one out!

I did happen to be messing with these scuppers and one broke off with very little force, so I'm glad it happend in the driveway, but now I need to figure out how it needs to be replaced.

PS - These smaller scuppers have flaps on them, but does this really prevent water from flowing up in there? I know for a fact these scuppers will be sitting below the water line.

Cory

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drainage Questions..

I would recommend that you change every thru hulls before putting the boat in the water.

If you broke one trying to get the cap off, they are all ready to let go. Loose a thru hull at sea and you'll need your life preserver.

I have 7 thru hulls on my boat. All are bronze below the water line and stainless steel above the water line.

Taking a guess. Typically thru hulls below the water line are intakes. Drains are above the water line. The claim shell on the botton is the intake for a livewell pump and or a washdown pump.

The flaps do not stop water from entering the hoses but help to keep water from "sloshing" do to wave action.