Drainage of the pontoon

minj

Seaman Apprentice
Good day!
This year before winterizing, I remove the metal plugs at the bottom of the pontoons. It was draining for a long time!
This spring, when I prepare it to go in the water, what is the best way to put the screw back in? Should I be using teflon tape, liquid teflon, nothing? Or how to know that the screw is tight enough?
Thank you for the tips!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I simply put the plugs in dry. Never have water coming out in the fall. You must have leaks. Are your plugs the pipe plug style? Or some kind of screw?

minj

Seaman Apprentice
We had it pressure tested couple years ago and it was alright. They are big screw style. They are located at the bottom of the pontoon so in the water.

minj

Seaman Apprentice
Also, both of them had similar amount of water in them so this is why I suspect it is coming directly from those screws. (They might be tapered but I can’t understand why there would be so much water in them and in equal amount)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if it was coming from the drains, you would be sinking. most pontoon logs leak where a weld cracks at the M-bracket

minj

Seaman Apprentice
if it was coming from the drains, you would be sinking. most pontoon logs leak where a weld cracks at the M-bracket
I see - is there a trick where I could connect a small air compressor where the plug is and send some air (put soapy water at those welds) or it has to be a specific pressure sent inside? Then should it be welded back or a kind of epoxy would do it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use 2-3 psi only. anything more than that and you risk blowing the pontoon log up.

I would get it welded

flashback

Captain
Its possible that it is from condensation and you may not have a problem at all.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I used my shop vac exhaust with duct taped smaller hose to inject air into my pontoon to find the two leaks I've had in the past few years. I don't think a shop vac can generate enough psi to hurt the toon, plus the vinyl hose was a loose fit in the plug hole. My plugs are on top.
The one leak was at a seam weld about 3 years ago and this last year I found one at a front "M" bracket. I couldn't believe how much water was in that front cone section from a leak on top.
Both were professionally welded.
As much as I like JB weld, theres no way it could hold up to the flexing that a pontoon endures.

My plugs are plastic, but if I had metal ones I'd use teflon tape or similar.
BTW the method I use to check for leaks is simple. I begin to loosen the plug and I listen for air either escaping or being sucked in. Most of the time its warm outside when I do this so the air in the toon is warm so if air escapes , I have no leak in that section.

Last edited:

minj

Seaman Apprentice
I used my shop vac exhaust with duct taped smaller hose to inject air into my pontoon to find the two leaks I've had in the past few years. I don't think a shop vac can generate enough psi to hurt the toon, plus the vinyl hose was a loose fit in the plug hole. My plugs are on top.
The one leak was at a seam weld about 3 years ago and this last year I found one at a front "M" bracket. I couldn't believe how much water was in that front cone section from a leak on top.
Both were professionally welded.
As much as I like JB weld, theres no way it could hold up to the flexing that a pontoon endures.

My plugs are plastic, but if I had metal ones I'd use teflon tape or similar.
BTW the method I use to check for leaks is simple. I begin to loosen the plug and I listen for air either escaping or being sucked in. Most of the time its warm outside when I do this so the air in the toon is warm so if air escapes , I have no leak in that section.
Great idea - I might try the shopvac trick! Just waiting for winter to be over :D

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
good .
I also meant to say and using a spray bottle mixed with dish soap and water

Crappie Jalopy

Seaman Apprentice
I had equal amounts of water in my (2) pontoons, (50) gal. x (8) lbs.=(400) lbs.
The drain hole plugs were actually self-drilling screws, with neoprene washers.
I changed them to an actual drain plug.
This water in my pontoons was also causing another problem, I think.
My 1500 4wd Dodge Ram, with the big engine, had transmission overheat lights come when towing in hot weather and upgrades.
At the time I didn't know about the water in the pontoons.
I haven't had a chance to get the (22') out yet.
I'm sure (200 lbs.) of water sloshing back and forth in each pontoon as I hauled the boat, was a huge negative force/drag on the transmission.
More information on this will be forth coming.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Using a sealing tape on the threads will not hurt a thing, and just might help !!

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I had equal amounts of water in my (2) pontoons, (50) gal. x (8) lbs.=(400) lbs.
The drain hole plugs were actually self-drilling screws, with neoprene washers.
I changed them to an actual drain plug.
This water in my pontoons was also causing another problem, I think.
My 1500 4wd Dodge Ram, with the big engine, had transmission overheat lights come when towing in hot weather and upgrades.
At the time I didn't know about the water in the pontoons.
I haven't had a chance to get the (22') out yet.
I'm sure (200 lbs.) of water sloshing back and forth in each pontoon as I hauled the boat, was a huge negative force/drag on the transmission.
More information on this will be forth coming.
I've installed a nice big auxillary tranny cooler in my 5.3 l chevy. Even on extreme hot days in july when pulling my 24' pontoon, I rarely see 190.