Drain the intake manifold?

Laneman25

Seaman
Just winterized my 2001 Volvo 5.0 GL 305 Chevy. Did 2 block drains, 2 exhaust manifold drains, and 2 sea water pump hoses.. A video said to drain the intake manifold. Didn't see this in the manual.

Laneman25

Seaman
I also changed fuel filter, added Sta Bil to tank, fogged engine. No water in filter, so that's good news.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
V6 requires the manifold plug to be removed. The V8 doesn't have a manifold drain

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Don't forget the annual drive maintenance, and inspection of alignment, u-joints, gimbal, etc.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The drain the manifold on the 4.3 V6 applies only to the 96 & up Vortec engines for some reason the intake holds water unlike the older models that drain just like the V8. Make sure to also pull the bottom end of the big hose off of the front circulating pump because that area holds a lot of water…
And poke the holes in the block after you remove the drain plugs.
The other thing you should do is disconnect the raw water intake hose at the impeller housing and hold it down to drain. Then, with the outdrive lowered, hold it up & fill that hose with marine AF until the AF runs out of the outdrive water intakes. This pushes water out of the power steering cooler & hoses that are on the back side of the engine….

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Don't forget the annual drive maintenance, and inspection of alignment, u-joints, gimbal, etc.
Yep did my crusty old salt water moored outdrive last week. Looks bad but works great!

Attachments

• IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9