Drain plug?

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a 1995 Dauntless 15ft. Preparing to take it out for the first time. It is advertised as self-bailing. I do not find a bilge plug anywhere on the transom. I have 2 deck scuppers with rubber flapper valves on the outside of the transom, and 2 drains from the tub that surrounds the motor. None look like they have ever had a plug in them. I have never owned a boat without a bilge plug.
Some people tell me that that's the way it is, others say that there has to be a plug somewhere.
Right now, my best plan is to launch it, keep the trailer close and see what happens. Does anyone have a similar boat and can educate me? Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the scuppers are the drains.

there is no plugs

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes, the scuppers are the drains.

there is no plugs
Sorry to be slow on the uptake here. So when you are loading, moving around the boat etc. while stationary, you might take on a little water through the scuppers, and you just figure it will all flow out the stern once you start moving?
I ask, because I have also been told by someone else to put a plug in each scupper except for draining when on the trailer, which seems like it defeats the purpose of the scuppers. Thank you.