Drain plug replacement

EvinFla

Seaman
I recently removed my drain plug (froze in the receptacle plate) on a 1998 18ft CC Hydra-sport . The top screw was through bolted, and had what looked to be an electrical ground wire attached on the inside. The bottom two screws were just screwed into the hull. Should a professional replace this. (ie. is there speacial instellation procedures or apoxy that I would'nt have knowledge of), or is it as simple as placing a sealant betweet the plate and hull, through bolting the top screw, reattaching the green ground wire and replacing the bottom two screws. <br /><br />Also, where the hole was bored for the drain, you can see the material inside the hull. Is this wood or a fiberglass composite.<br /><br />New to boating, and am learning a lot through this forum, and by tinkering with things myself. <br /><br />Any suggestions on the instellation would be appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Drain plug replacement

Evin,<br /><br />Your through bolt had a wire attached to it so that it could be grounded to the battery negative post. This is prudent on a brass fitting, particularly in salt water.<br /><br />As far as your transom material, it could be anything that you mentioned.

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Drain plug replacement

The correct term would be "bonding" rather than "ground". Electrolysis is set up by a small electric current from the saltwater and the zinc in the brass<br />which basically makes your brass fitting a sacrificial anode. Use of bronze fitting Elamite this as bronze does not contain zinc