Drain plug for a 1964 Texas Maid?

kciv

Seaman Apprentice
I have lost the drain plug for my boat. Where can I get a replacement? It has about a 7/8" straight thread, wings, made of brass, and has a rubber gasket? I looked at a boat supply house and online and could not find one? A picture would help if you have one.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Drain plug for a 1964 Texas Maid?

It has about a 7/8" straight thread,

Ayuh,... Are ya sure it ain't 3/4" pipe, or 1/2" pipe,..??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to HD or Lowes, plumbing dept. similar to this.

Attachments

• 83de1764-4877-4849-a78e-ef417588b98b_100.jpg
    83de1764-4877-4849-a78e-ef417588b98b_100.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 0

kciv

Seaman Apprentice

It is not a pipe thread. It has straight threads and seals on a rubber gasket.

My best guess is a 7/8" - 13. The ID of the box is 13/16" (.8125).

A 1/2" NPT slides inside and 3/4" NPT is too big.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's gonna be tough to replace. I'll try to measure mine tomorrow and post the info and a pix. I like everything about the TM designs, except the scupper-like exit/drain on the bottom of the hull...it always dogs the starboard bunk on my trailer when loading...it can be a pain to get the stern aligned so the drain hood doesn't ride on top of the bunk. Might try a plumbing house for a pipe fitting...don't think you want to try jamming a standard rubber plug in there, wouldn't seal.

kciv

Seaman Apprentice

tmcalavy ---
Trying to find a 7/8" - 14 bolt to fit it. Not real sure if that is the thread size. I sure would like to find a replacement. I certainly would like a picture to show people what i am looking for.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hey kciv...sorry man, life got in the way temporarily.
Here are 3 pix I shot tonight after a major freakout. Went to pull my plug to shoot the pix...and it's not there. Thrashed around and found it in the gunnel tray on the starboard side. Hope these help...had to use my old measuring tape, which should be retired or thrown out. I think you're right, looks like a 7/8", maybe a 14, too.

Attachments

• Plug1.jpg
    Plug1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Plug2.jpg
    Plug2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Plug3.jpg
    Plug3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 4

kciv

Seaman Apprentice

The pictures are perfect. Thanks for the help. If you come across a replacement let me know.

kciv

Seaman Apprentice

Turned out that it was 7/8" -14 thread. I made these plugs. Could not find SS or bronze bolts with this pitch. I will spray paint them before I use them. I uses Gorilla glue to seal the threads between the nut and the bolt. I went with a o-ring instead of a rubber gasket.

Attachments

• plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 7

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ingenious...that'll do alright. Now, I predict you'll find the original after you give up lookin' for it...like the first time you really use one of those new plugs.

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi, I just bought a 14ft standard hull TM that doesn't have a drain plug... I didn't know it was something so rare... oh well now I'm in the same situation.
If anyone is still reading this thread, i'd like to verify that the 7/8th inch diameter 14 thread per inch was the right one - and I wonder why Kciv didn't just cut the bolt rather than use the gorilla glue/extra nut on there? any ideas?
Also is there a problem with using any particular metals? should I try to get one made by a machine shop out of brass or aluminum?
Or can I just get a bolt from the hardware store like Kciv did? (Also, I'm wondering how that worked out if your still around here- guess i'm asking if that set up is still working for you).

Anyway, any other insight on these drain plugs/ mods/ homemade fixes that anyone has come up with in the last couple years since this thread was last active would be appreciated. I think mine is a 1958 don't know if that makes a difference.

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so update... I checked 3 hardware stores around town today and none of them carry bolts bigger than 3/4. Anyone have any ideas where I could find a bolt like the one Kciv used? maybe you know of a place online even.
Also, the only bar stock they have is typically 3/4 max - and even then I'd have to find a tap/die set that had the 7/8ths thread in it. Haven't seen one of those around either at this point.

Open for suggestions...

Any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if these will help, but here are some pics of the drain plug the PO made for my 1959 Texas Maid Osprey.

Phone pics 022.jpgPhone pics 025.jpgPhone pics 026.jpgPhone pics 027.jpgPhone pics 048.jpg

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes, helpful.
Do you have any idea what the bottom part is? it looks like some sort of plumbing fitting or something...? do the threads fit in nicely or do you have to use lots of teflon tape?

The people I bought the boat from just mailed me the plug they had and it's a 1/2 in pipe plug that pretty much just slips in and out... I guess they just loaded it up with teflon tape and screwed it in. Not sure how well that will work. I'm looking on line for a 7/8 bolt with 14 tpi now.

I may just go with a deal I saw at the boat shop that might work to convert the drain to the more standard 1/2 in (?) brass plug. It's a flange about 1.5 inches dia with 3 holes (i guess to screw it in) and holds the other plug. It looks like it might fit in the center of the rivets holding on the current flange and shield on the bottom of the hull. Might have to put lots of sealer around it but at least it would make it fit a "normal" size plug from now on...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gentleman...... look at the original date of the thread. This was somewhere in the archives.

Thank you for your input and we really do appreciate good ideas ......... Please start a new thread instead of commenting on an older one.

The basic rule of thumb is .....old threads are "normally" brought up from the archives by the original poster.

Thanks.

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, no problem...

My thought was "same problem, same thread..." so I just added on here hoping not to loose track of the original comments and images posted (and so not to be told "that's already been discussed... please see this old thread.." that I have too often seen in many other forums about everything from cars to computers to fishing, etc.).
And, I was hoping to gain some insight or feedback from the original poster (and those who answered) who might not have logged in to see a new thread - but might be notified via email or something of a comment to this old one.

thanks - if you still think I should add a new one - I'll do that.