Drain hole patched over.

Sparkler

Seaman Apprentice
I recently picked up a 12 aluminum Boat. It is a Sea King and I believe it was made by Starcraft. I rebuilt the transom as it was rotted out. Somewhere along the line someone pitched the drain plug and patched the hole. I am a bit shy when it comes to drilling into my boat but it needs to be done. I have shopped around and found quite a few different configurations of plugs. What would you suggest I use?

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Drain hole patched over.

Because the boat is aluminum, I would tend to go with plastic to prevent any electrolysis between aluminum and a brass fitting.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Iboats sells aluminum ones and plastic ones.

Aluminum and brass do not play well together at all!

CATransplant

Admiral

The Starcraft-made 12' Sea King boats didn't have a drain plug. Due to the crossways elements on the bottom of the hull, water won't drain in that boat. They were designed as cartoppers.

However, you can add a drain plug. I put one on mine. The nylon ones that attach with two screws and that have a screw-in drain plug work just fine. Use 3M 5200 or 4200 liberally on the flange and to seal the stainless steel machine screws used to install the flange. Frankly, though, it's not all that useful. For it to drain the boat, you have to have the front of your trailer very high. Even then, water collects.

I use a wet-or-dry shop vac to suck the water out of mine, and turn the boat upside down in our cold winter here.

Think twice befor bothering with a drain plug.