DP-D1 Vertical Shaft upper nylok nut

Pescadora

Seaman Apprentice
I left my manual on the boat (60 miles away) and am in the last stages of final assembly. Pinion nut in and torqued. Proper shims under the ball bearing. Spacers and roller bearing installed. Spanner nut spun down and snugged. But I cannot seem to find the torque specification for this top nylock spanner nut. Pretty sure that was in my manual.

Anybody have a hint on what that spec might be?

Attachments

• Snugged but not torqued.jpg
    Snugged but not torqued.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is a bearing nut. and yes, the manual improperly calls it a nyloc

there is a very specific sequence in the manual. Not a torque for the top of the vertical shaft.

however torque is 118 lb-ft for the pinion nut

vp-drive.jpg

and you set a dimension and a pre-load with the bearing nut.
vp-drive-1.jpg
vp-drive-2.jpg

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't have a Volvo, but, what a great response from that "Grumpy" boater !

Pescadora

Seaman Apprentice
Appreciate the support. However you are referencing the technique for the older drives. In the DP, the pinion bearing torque spec is 81 lb/ft (110 nm) rather than the 118 lb/ft of the earlier drives. The bearing nut also changed. Instead of using a toothed locking washer to secure it, they changed the nut to a spanner type that employs nylock retainer.

All that said, it appears there is not tightening specification for that upper nut. Since those two bearings are pressed on the vertical shaft, I guess there would not need to be one. I do know they typically do not break loose easily.

Again, thanks for responding. I hate being without my DP-D1 manual.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
There isn't a torque spec for this that I have ever seen. Just tighten it as tight as you can with hand tools.