downloading music

mattttt25

Commander
i haven't downloaded music from the web ever since i got scared away with the napster thing. can anyone suggest some good, legal sources? i saw one site (i believe it was apple's site that supports their ipods) charging 99 cents per song. any better deals out there? thanks-

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: downloading music

matttttttttt,<br /><br />for 9.95 a month i can listen to and stream and burn music from www.listen.com<br /><br />you can burn songs for 99 cents.<br /><br />if your sneaky, which im not saying i am, you can create playlists of whatever you want and record it to your hard drive while it plays with any sound programs, some are even free.<br /><br />its not downloading, so no ip is traced or needed.<br /><br />you get a 2 week free trial, its at least worth checking out, for 13 days, right?

rogerwa

Commander

I believe Walmart has tunes for 88 cents and albums for like $9.95

mattttt25

Commander

yeah, a buddy told me about walmart's site yesterday. he also said something like 88 cents. i wonder if the prices will start dropping to support apple's gold mine ipod.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Anyone heard of LimeWire? <br /><br />My son just started using it and I don't know anything about it. Legal? Not?

LadyFish

Admiral

I checked out LimeWire awhile back and from what I understand from a reliable 16 year old, the songs are 100% complete not like some other sites.<br /><br />Unlimited Membership ($39.95)<br />Standard Membership ($24.95)<br />1 Year Membership ($19.95) <br /><br />I really don't know about the legality but when I google it, I don't see any bad reports.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I checked out LimeWire awhile back and from what I understand from a reliable 16 year old, the songs are 100% complete not like some other sites.<br /><br />Unlimited Membership ($39.95)<br />Standard Membership ($24.95)<br />1 Year Membership ($19.95) <br /><br />I really don't know about the legality but when I google it, I don't see any bad reports.
Hmmm...I'll have to check into this. I know he didn't pay anything, yet he's gotten a lot of music.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I checked out LimeWire awhile back and from what I understand from a reliable 16 year old, the songs are 100% complete not like some other sites.<br /><br />Unlimited Membership ($39.95)<br />Standard Membership ($24.95)<br />1 Year Membership ($19.95) <br /><br />I really don't know about the legality but when I google it, I don't see any bad reports.
The above mentioned memberships are for Limewire's 'premier' service. I'm not sure exactly how they differ from the free service but none of them have anything to do with licensing rights to downloaded music.<br /><br />Limewire has a forum and the question of legality is often asked there. The consensus seems to be that one is in jeopardy if someone wants to make an issue of your downloading. The conduit (LimeWire) apparently has no liability in the matter. They just act as a conduit and are not, themselves, offering the files.

FENIXX3435

Seaman Apprentice

I may have done the link wrong? But if you return to the home page and go to center of page and <br />click on----> Having Kazaa is 100% Legal. Important Info.<br />You can read it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Got to read the whole thing. The following is a paragraph out of 'legal' statement on Kazaa.<br /><br />"Use of the software to download or share copyrighted works without the permission of the copyright owner may be illegal in many jurisdictions."<br /><br />The "100% legal" business has to do with the website software not what you download from someone elses computer thru Kazaa.

mattttt25

Commander

agree. plenty of sites like kazaa out there to file share, and they are free and legal. but as soon as you download music (which everyone does), you are breaking the law. regardless of what any 16 year old tells you. not to say i haven't done it. from what i've seen and read, only those downloading thousands of songs have ever been pursued. just too many lawbreakers out there.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> rutt ro :eek:
??????
Meaning Lakelovers son may have illegal copyrighted music on his computer. Meaning he could be sued like thousands of others "not very likely though" by the RIAA.... :( <br /><br />Scooby Doo where are you...... :cool:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by ggoody:<br />
Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> rutt ro :eek:
??????
Meaning Lakelovers son may have illegal copyrighted music on his computer. Meaning he could be sued like thousands of others "not very likely though" by the RIAA.... :( <br /><br />Scooby Doo where are you...... :cool:
My son says it's file sharing between users, but sounds a little gray to me. Right, the pay LimeWire is for Premier service. I understand that he burned the songs to CD then deleted them from the computer. I've been kind of iffy on the whole thing and may pull the plug on this.<br /><br />We have a program called Sure Delete (I think, I see it on the desktop all the time but don't use it often, so I don't remember the exact name) that is supposed to destroy all traces of files you delete with it.<br /><br />Anybody know if this really works? :confused:

rwise

Captain

If you didn't pay the copy right holder it's not legal! No such thing as "free" its all about the $$$. I have downloaded some mp3's, but I have the vinals in the closet! I also rip all my cd's to mp3 so when I want to listen to music I don't have to baby set the player. Buy it, rip it, stow it away. just my thoughts.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Lakelover, I think once you download thru the Service, it leaves a record of your download with your IP address. I don't think it matters that you delete the file from your computer. The service will show that you have the file available but no one will be able to access it because it is no longer in your shared file.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Lakelover, I think once you download thru the Service, it leaves a record of your download with your IP address. I don't think it matters that you delete the file from your computer. The service will show that you have the file available but no one will be able to access it because it is no longer in your shared file.
Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I don't like the whole copyright infringement mindset that seems prevalent on line. I'm a photographer and would be very upset to find my copyrighted photos stolen without compensation. Just because you can do something doesn't make it right. I think it's time to pull the plug on that deal.