Dow closes near 13000!!!

Coors

Captain
Re: Dow closes near 13000!!!

Oil (utilities) and healthcare are going up; for some reason (dems say economy is sucking) growth is going up. And stay out of housing construction, that's why I post more lately-no job. But I needed 6 months vaca in order to chill, and try to beat my acre and toys back into subbission.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The higher the market goes the faster it will seem to grow. Increasing from 9 to 10K was an 11% jump. Moving from 12 to 13K was closer to an 8% rise.

PW2

Commander

That is in-correct

I'm curious. Why do you think it incorrect?

Do you think the market run-up in the Clinton years after the "Republican revolution" of brother Newt in '94, or the recent market run-up after the '06 election is mere coincidence?

PW2

Commander

Not to you and Clinton.

So what did Clinton have to do with the run-up in the Nasdaq. Was he out buying vast quantities of stocks in order to artificially inflate the market? Or out pumping wothless stocks, in some pump and dump scheme? That was going on for sure, but it wasn't being done by Clinton.

The Nasdaq is for the most part is technology dominated, as opposed to the dow which is made up mostly of multi-national bricks and mortar type companies.

To the extent that America retains it's world leadership role, it will be on the backs of the technology revolution, and not on multi-nationals that set up off-shore manufacturing to service an American market.

It's not a black and white issue, of course, and free trade and globalization (and the strength of the Dow) are on balance a good thing, but still there are troubling signs associated with it.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It don't matter if the Dow is 5K or 20K, what matters is the return on your investments, thats the bottom line.

Coors

Captain

PW2, the run-up in the late 90's was herd mentality, which made the stocks over-priced. The latest run-up is due to the tax cuts, which spurred the economy out of Clinton's passed-on recession.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I guess we can look forward to silence from everyone if the dow falls to 8000?

PW2

Commander

PW2, the run-up in the late 90's was herd mentality, which made the stocks over-priced. The latest run-up is due to the tax cuts, which spurred the economy out of Clinton's passed-on recession.

That makes absolutely no sense, unless you are completly blinded by idealogy.

So the run up in the 90's was caused by stupid, greedy, capitalists (presumably republican capitalists, as they elected Newt & co), yet the recent run up, most of which has occured after the 2006 election, happened because of tax "cuts" enacted almost six years prior.

Logic like that does explain the apparent popularity of right wing talk radio. You guys will believe anything!

PW2

Commander

It's the "Greater Fool" theory of investing. We are counting on the fact that no matter what we pay for a stock, there is a greater fool than us willing to pay a bit more at some point for that same stock.

Time will tell.

Coors

Captain

Companies are making good profits, now, not on-paper profits. Does your left-wing idealogy make you not see that? Will you believe anything that the commies say? (sigh)

Coors

Captain

Looking back; it is a known fact that it takes 4 years for changes in tax law to affect the economy.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Take another look at GM. I'm not positive but they are up significantly in the past year. Yep, 22 to 37 in one year. Not too shabby for a company on the brink. Ford, well I wouldn't put my money there on a bet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Coors,

I know you don't want to hear this...the stock market is pretty much independent of the party that is in power be it Republican or Democrat.

Coors

Captain

PW2 , when things don't work his way, starts insults.

PW2

Commander

Take another look at GM. I'm not positive but they are up significantly in the past year. Yep, 22 to 37 in one year. Not too shabby for a company on the brink. Ford, well I wouldn't put my money there on a bet.

I believe if you looked closely at GM, you would discover that the lions share of their corporate profits are being made outside the US. Not that that is a bad thing, mind you, but hardly indicative of a booming US economy. The one thing about freeing up capital due to things like tax cuts, it will tend to be reinvested, but it will tend to gravitate to the area with the best potential return on investment---which is not necessarily the USA.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

It would be easy to to go into depth on some of the speculation here, but with that said, a lot of chit is going to happen in the next 90 day's
like it or not if one does not buy american..... Umm were screwed period.... unless one think's the burger boy's and accountant's are going to drive this econ.... hold on watch the fed drop the rate.......... but the oil and med ind is going to ride this thing to a recession

Last edited:

Skinnywater

Commander

I'm hedged with greater than average adverse funds that are doing curiously well during this bull market, bring it on.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I agree PW2. If you work at GM and you know that they are going to introduce the best car in the world in the next couple of months, and you buy or recommend stock based on this, is this insider trading?

PW2

Commander

Is it powered by water?

Is it insider trading? Ask Martha Stewart.

As far as GM and "The best car in the world" being used in the same sentence, I'll believe it when I see it.