DOOM

SoulWinner

Commander
Back in college ( I started in 1992, graduated in '98 after taking two years off) I got into playing Doom I. I guess that was in '92. I got so into that game that I almost flunked out of a semester or two. Same thing happed after each new Doom was released, as well as Heretic, Hexen, and to a much lesser degree Quake. Now Doom 3 is out and I have it. It is much more difficult than any of it's predecessors. The graphics are excellent, and I always liked the first person perspective. Also, this game will totally creep you out. I can play for an hour and then my skin starts to crawl.<br /><br />Anyone else playing? Anyone else think "cheat codes" are for sissies?

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: DOOM

Never played Doom, but I enjoy the Medal of Honor series games for the PS2, which are a first person kill everyone kind of game. I won the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, and 3 Purple Hearts all from the recliner in my den :p <br /><br />Cheat codes are for sissies ;)

ndemge

Commander

SW.... I've loved the entire Saga<br />Wolfenstein, Doom, DoomII, Hexen, Heretic, RTCW, <br /><br />I have not played Doom3, as I don't think my box would even do it now, 1.2G, Geforce2 MX400<br />is that enough to make it run?<br /><br />I used to be really big into the LAN party scene, before getting married and having kids, I was an Admin for Warfactory.net ,we'd host 100+ computer tournaments, was a lot of work, and a lot of fun. <br /><br />The guys at warfactory.net are still going strong, under all new administration.<br /><br />....Iboats Lan party!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Just picked up unreal tournament 2004 a few weeks ago. Awesome. Been meaning to pick up doom3. If you like this stuff, I highly recommend half life. The first one came out about 5 years ago, still good, great game with a good storyline and all. Half life 2 is set to come out soon and is said to be the greatest thing since, well, ever. :)

ndemge

Commander

I loved the regular Half Life Deathmatch.<br /><br />Counterstrike was a good game, but it became SO overplayed, nobody would pick up a new game for 3 years after that came out!<br /><br />The last game I activly played was MOHAA and RTCW

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

I was into those types of games a few years back when the games first came out. Wolfenstein and Doom, but now I am more into games like Warcraft. Man those are some tough games.

SCO

Lieutenant

A great game I played a few years ago was combat flight simulator 2. Dogfighting online in realtime, unbelieveable. I got to be pretty good at itbut there was always an ace that could outfly you.

SoulWinner

Commander

ndemge, I have a 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, GeForce FX 5200, and the game gets choppy when more than monster is attacking me, and that is with the graphics turned down, and the smallest screen size.<br /><br />My son played HalfLife. I never got into it. Maybe I'm a Doom purist?

ndemge

Commander

SW... that answers my question, my peuny 1.2 ani't gonna cut it. I heard it was a resource hog.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Wolfenstien, Doom series. But haven't gotten the new one yet. Too busy lately.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have not goten the new one yet either. I might get around to it this coming week while on vaca. Although now it looks like I'll be running network cables in my friends new house. I'll let you know if and when I get it. I loved DOOM, it did for video games what star wars did for the movies.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're going to be playing Doom, look into getting the AMD Athlon 3000+ or just about any of the Athlon 64's. Doom 3 plays much better on a system running those than on the Pentiums.<br /><br />Getting ready to upgrade my motherboard and processor, so as soon as I have, Doom 3 will be playing on my PC.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just DOOM related but very funny.<br /><br />When Doom appeared on the scene a friend of mine had just acquired an African Gey Parrot as a pet. It was in the same room as the computer and it started to mimic the sound effects from Doom. It was funny but that bird would almost duplicate a cannon or a shotgun with uncanny perfection. Needless to say it was an interesting distraction to be playing and have the bird start mimicing the game from across the room.<br /><br />Bob

SoulWinner

Commander

Guys, this game is something else. I mean, I ain't scared of nothin', I can stroll around in abandoned buildings at night, hang out in supposedly haunted cemetaries, serve papers in crack-house nieghborhoods, nothing bothers me. But this game totally creeps me out. Between the spooky sounds, and the realistic environments, and monsters jumping out and attacking me all over the place, I can play for a couple of hours at night in here by my self, and my BP is up so high I can't sleep the rest of the night!<br /><br />For those who are getting the game but don't have it yet, I will offer these tips:<br /><br />Save Often- Death comes swiftly in the game, so save a lot!<br /><br />Conserve Ammo- There never seems to be enough ammo around, so get good at using your hand grenades, and only shoot when your target is in your sights (they turn red)!<br /><br />Steer/Aim with your mouse- Steering with the direction keys is fine until you have to shoot at mulitple targets, plus you can't look up / down with the arrow keys, so the experience gets more realistic if you use the mouse because you can walk around and look up and down naturally. Also, aiming with the mouse is key since you will need to aim down at your feet sometimes!<br /><br />Flashlight toggle- Use the "F" key to toggle the flashlight on and off. Use the flashlight to locate items sitting in the dark! The "F" key allows you to toggle from the light to your last used weapon quickly.<br /><br />Reload- You reload your weapon by pressing the "R" key. It is better to do this when you are not engaged in a firefight, because reloading while you're under attack is lethal....to you.<br /><br />Brightness- I reset the brightness level on my game becuase the default was just too dark for me to see anything, and you can't walk through the whole game with your flashlight in your hand.<br /><br />Tight Spots- By pressing the "C" key you crouch down and crawl. You can crawl into little areas around machinery, and in tunnels, and under stairs etc. Do this to find extra med kits and ammo and other useful items.<br /><br />Well thats about it. Enjoy the game.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Played em all, Now I'm a EQJunkie, ala Everquest.<br />Been playing for 4 years now, took a year off then reactivated my account when I learned some guys I know from the IT section of the local Sheriff's Dept. play EQ. <br />I'm on the Luclin server as Ikemay if you play. <br />Guild is Descending Essence.