Donzi Medallion 152 Engine Fail

Zemfir

Recruit
Hello,
I am a newbie here and in boats too
I am from Republic of Moldova and i have an Donzi Medallion 152 with a inbound Mercury SportJet 90, 2 Stroke, 3 Cylinders Engine.

Engine is dead, the crankshaft and cylinders needs to be replaced.
My question is:

Should I buy new engine for this boat or its cheaper to repair it?
If a new one, what are the models that will fit my boat?
Some buying advice?

Thanks a lot!

Boat
http://assets.cougar.nineentertainm...768/assets/momoads/2013/03/07/1/donzi_004.jpg

Engine
http://www.dptsecure.com/images/v2011_large_donzi_(9).jpg
http://media.autobase.co.nz/VehicleImages/Full/1/7/1/1717286_7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Donzi Medallion 152 Engine Fail

Mods, this belongs in another section. OP, what year is the boat and what kind of shape is it in?

alldodge

Staff member

:welcome: to iboats

As Volphin stated this needs to be placed with the other watercaft are. Hope the moderator will see and move it so you can get better answers. From what I can find the engines are hard to find here in the USA, they may be easier for you where youo are.

Good luck

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer boat has a Jetski motor, 'n drive,....

Not an I/O,....

that's why yer 1st thread, yesterday was moved to the Jetski forum,...

That's where yer gonna find the Help you need,....

Zemfir

Recruit

Thanks a lot! Help i will find the answers!
Have a good day!

Fun Times

Staff member

Mods, this belongs in another section.

As Volphin stated this needs to be placed with the other watercaft are. Hope the moderator will see and move it so you can get better answers. Good luck
While I would agree that it would appear be better suited for the Mercury outboard tech section especially if Zemfir decides to take on the task of rebuilding the engine. But at this time, it appears to be in the right section as the PWC forum section has a lot of Mercury Sport Jet threads going on at the moment, so this seems to be in the right place for now.

Now if Zemfir changes course of how he want to rectify his engine troubles then maybe we can move it at a later date to something more suited such as the Non-Repair Outboard Discussions Discussions not involving troubles or repair section for instance to get a price quote, ETC. ETC.

I'll ask some of the other Mods to look it over to get some extra input of where to place this one. Thanks guys for pointing it out.:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Zemfir: I believe that Mercury sportjets were actually Force engines. They used these engines in many brand jet boats like Mercury, Mariner, sea-ray etc.

In any case, whether or not the engine is Force or Mercury (and in looking at the photos it does appear to be mercury--3 cylinder, 2 carbs) the advice is the same.

NOW: If the crank is damaged as well as the block needing to be over-bored, it is NOT worth rebuilding UNLESS you simply can not find a replacement. A used crank, if you can find one will cost upwards of 100 dollars US and pistons will cost again in the range of 75-125. If the crank is bad, that means that the connecting rods and bearings are damaged too. It is just too many parts to make it worth rebuilding.

You have the option of replacing with a 90 or 125 Force if the engine is indeed a Force block. However, not being familiar with sportjet models, the crankshafts may have different splines than the outboards and you may be stuck looking for a specific jet model engine. If the engine is Mercury, I can not comment since I have no experience with jet models.

Last edited:

Zemfir

Recruit

Thanks a lot Frank!

Yes, it is a 3Cylinder Engine, and if you can suggest me a place where i can buy a new engine, i will pray gods for you-)))))
There must be some places - where big boys buy jet engines...