Anyone Watching The World Cup ???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Soccer that is !!!:)
If so, who's your team and what are your predictions ???:D

Kiwi Phil

Commander
Re: Anyone Watching The World Cup ???

Could be a little subdued in England at the moment, probably not unlike Australia.

Biggest sporting event the world knows.
Cheers
Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is that game called soccer anywhere in the world besides N. America?

gonefishie

Commander

I tuned to it for awhile yesterday and had to switch channel. It was the Ghana/Serbia game I think. The constant buzzing stadium noise was just too much for me. I know soccer fans get noisy but this didn't sound like it was coming from them.

Bigprairie1

Commander

You beat be me to the punch Ken...I was going to ask the same question.
I'm following a bit...the game times are a bit wonky here due to the South African game times.
There was a lot of interest in the U.K vs. U.S.A game around here and its final score (1-1)...tough one for the U.K goal tender on that shot.
With respect to JB's question...I think...the term soccer is just a North American thing. I know it is what we call it around here.
Despite the interest in this sport locally (mostly with kids/parents)...I'm trying to understand why it is so difficult to get a professional league up and going. Until that day comes...we will never be able to field much of a team.:confused:
Hmmm
BP:):cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No.

Once they change the rules to make more scoring it will always be to me the most boring sport to watch. They need to shrink the field, make the goal bigger and get rid of the goal keeper.

They also need to show the fans how much time is left. What's with that?

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

My roots are in ITALY!... So therfore I cheer for them...

I like the US but think they are still too young..by that i mean, Soccer in the US has been there but never took off as in other countries that only had that.. i think the level of interest is there now and so you definitely see more interest here in the US...but still no way near Europe and other countries..

The buzz you hear are from horns they all have....so awful...sounds like flies are in the microphones!! I turn the folume down..seems to help..

bekosh

Lieutenant

The constant buzzing stadium noise was just too much for me. I know soccer fans get noisy but this didn't sound like it was coming from them.

The noise is supposed to help keep you awake instead of falling asleep from boredom. ;)

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm currently living in northern Germany and my kids go to school in Holland. It is quite the scene around here with the folks supporting their team. My kids have those horns that are so annoying, bvut I can only handle listening to them for 5 minutes before they get taken away. You should have heard it last night after the Germany - Austrialian match finished; you could hear the horns along with some fireworks, car horns and cheering. It's quite interesting to "experience" the culture around this here.

I have to watch so I can fit in with all the folks in my office who truly go crazy for the World Cup.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well for those of you that think it is a boring game I am assuming that you don't like baseball either ????
Soccer........The Real Football !!!!:D;)

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

No.
Don't watch baseball nor basketball either.

I'd watch real football, though!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I'd watch real football, though!

You mean soccer ???? :D:D:D
Just joking !!!!
I was raised on soccer (football) in England so I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy it. Basketball and baseball though are good for me if I need a nap on the couch !!:D

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I'd rather watch paint dry personally but I did watch some of the Brazil game with the in-laws.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will have to go with no also,and I can fall asleep with anything on the TV :D

PW2

Commander

Personally, I tried to watch the USA England game, but the incessant buzzing drove me crazy after a couple of minutes.

So I watched the 30 second highlight on ESPN, and decided that was the best way to watch soccer anyway. In 30 seconds you get everything worth watching.