Don't you really hate it when ......

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you're like me and thinks it's a bit rude when you spend many minutes composing a nice friendly, informative reply to a question, and several others do too, and the original poster can't even so much as post a 'thank you', then add you name to the list!<br /><br />#1. Chris...............

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Don't you really hate it when ......

I think I look at it from the other side, Chris.<br /><br />I really like it when someone posts results and thanks for help and advice. :) <br /><br />I think we would all spend altogether too much time and energy being offended if we concern ourselves with those who don't reply.

achris

I'm not offended, just a bit disappointed.

KaGee

Admiral

I'm not offended, just curious. What advise helped, what didn't? How did everything work out?<br />I want to learn more too.

achris

KG<br /><br />Well, that's the whole point. We so rarely get feedback on what did or didn't work. When I don't see anything more, I think "did it work and he's off and running, or if it didn't work he's just off."<br /><br />Chris..........

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not rude Chris, just changing in the times.<br /><br />Just be happy with the thought that you helped someone out.<br />Might be them helping you out next time. :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by achris:<br /> If you're like me and thinks it's a bit rude when you spend many minutes composing a nice friendly, informative reply to a question, and several others do too, and the original poster can't even so much as post a 'thank you', then add you name to the list!<br /><br />#1. Chris...............
#2. John<br /><br />We're not saying we hate the person, we just hate it when they don't leave feedback, is all. It's polite to say "thank you," and rude not to. Not judging the person, just the behavior.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I call them "seagull" posts, drop a load on the<br />board and move on...

oddjob

Commander

Hey Chris. I just want to speak for these folks since they will not.<br /><br />A-hem!......Thanks for nothin Chris!....he,he,..jus kiddin. :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

I see a pattern emerging here, you've posted this gripe before - whats up?<br /><br />From the perspective of a non marine person (me), your answers to questions are concise and full of information so for all the boneheads with no old fashion manners - thank you.<br /><br />Now go and have a beer and get over it :D <br /><br />Aldo

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Chris,<br /><br />No different than life. Some have the courtesy to thank you and others feel it is owed to them, and others don't know any better or forget. <br /><br />I'm hooking up with aldo for a cold one, but we will get three glasses so if you want to join us just help yourself... ;)

achris

Maybe I was thinking that if we keep at it some of them will get the message. <br /><br />JT, you said it spot on.<br /><br />MY, good name.<br /><br />Oddjob, you're welcome. :D <br /><br />Aldo, you're right.(And you have way too good a memory) It's just that I do find it frustrating, not knowing if the fix worked. <br /><br />Pointer, when and where?<br /><br />Chris............

Bondo

Staff member

Well Guys, I know that I get a Really Good Feeling when I see My Advise referred too.......<br />So Good, in fact, that I've been making a Special Effort to do the same for Everybody else...... :D <br /><br />'Course, It's Still alot of Fun to point out when You make a Slightly Wrong statement........... :D

achris

Don't smile JUST yet Bondo. Go re-read that thread.......... :D

KaGee

Admiral

Bondo and Tommays should write a book on backyard hacker techniques.<br /><br /> :D

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

From the perspective of someone that has recieved more advice on this board than he has given: I feel akward taking up bandwidth and bumping a thread to the top of the list just to add a "thanks". The top few spots in any given section should be for ongoing problems that are getting attention to be resolved, not for trivial courtesy.<br /><br />Does every single thread need to be bumped up to the top just to say "thanks". And bumped one more time to say "You're welcome"? Sure, it would be considered polite, but I don't think it's relevant. Now, posting results, THAT would be relevant and worthy of the bump, and storage space. Yes, I would like to see results, but don't care much about the "thanks".

Carphunter

Commander

Saying, "Thank you", and following that up with a good 'ol, "Your welcome", is always relevant in my mind.<br /><br />I come from an area where "manners" are taught at a very young age though.<br /><br />.....Now Chris, you could just be like me, and never give any worthy advice, and never expect a thank you for it. :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

wilkin,<br />if folks don't post "results" of advice given and<br />let us all know what exactly fixed the problem,<br />then we can't learn and new folks that have same<br />problem won't find the outcome when in the archives!<br />thank you is common courtesy IMO, but not letting<br />the guy helping you know that u fixed the problem<br />cuz of them is worse.

achris

Well Carpy you could be right, it could be that the advise I give isn't considered any good. I hadn't thought of that.... <br />Maybe I'll just sneak off and hide under a rock.... :( <br /><br />MY, what you said about feedback is VERY relevant, and to throw in a 'thanks' is a bonus. The more I think about it the more I think it's the feedback that's the most important.<br /><br />Chris.........

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> From the perspective of someone that has recieved more advice on this board than he has given: I feel akward taking up bandwidth and bumping a thread to the top of the list just to add a "thanks". The top few spots in any given section should be for ongoing problems that are getting attention to be resolved, not for trivial courtesy.<br /><br />Does every single thread need to be bumped up to the top just to say "thanks". And bumped one more time to say "You're welcome"? Sure, it would be considered polite, but I don't think it's relevant. Now, posting results, THAT would be relevant and worthy of the bump, and storage space. Yes, I would like to see results, but don't care much about the "thanks".
I disagree with this line of thought entirely. One of the most serious problems with modern society is the lack of courtesy that is so prevalent. Of course, there many other causes for the problems we face but most of them are beyond our control.<br /><br />Courtesy, manners, and consideration for those around us is an area of our lives that we have absolute control over and there is no excuse for taking someone for granted or treating them ignorantly.<br /><br />BTW - sorry if this upsets you Wilkin!