don't know what it is but I'm gonna make her prettier

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up this boat for free from a friend and I am going to fix her up a bit. All I really know is that it is a 16' aluminum and that she is old and needs some lovin'. So if anyone know what she is let me know.

The day I brought her home from Lopez Island...no trailer so I crammed her in my truck.
0503001429a.jpg

The Windshield only had two of the mounts that weren't broken so the bungee held it down.

Took off the windshield and began stripping the 4 layers of paint.

0509001448.jpg

Got the top sanded
0509001805.jpg

Turtled and started on the sides
0516001714.jpg

Apparently it was purple at one time!
0513001721.jpg

Sanded
0516001847.jpg

Thats where I am now...I'm looking for a motor and trying to decide on what kind of paint to use on it and how to do it on a budget... any suggestions are welcome!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: don't know what it is but I'm gonna make her prettier

Please re-size your photos to 640 x 480 pixals

Looks like a nice aluminum project boat..... brand unknown to me :confused:

bananaboater

Ensign

Nice lines but I have no clue on ID.

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know how to change the picture size:confused:

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

Looks like a worthwhile project. Free is always good! I've got to get mine flipped so I can inspect the hull a little better.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

do you know how to use Microsoft Paint? If so, you can resize your photos there and then load them into iboats. Nice looking tinny. Rustoleum works well on Tin boats. Inexpensive and easy to touch up. Pretty durable. Make sure to use a good etching primer though. Spray or roll and tip.

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

Rustoleum was what I was planning for the outside. Would ya'll recommend Gluvit or Zolatone for the inside I have heard good things about both and would like to know how they compare.

bananaboater

Ensign

Rustoleum was what I was planning for the outside. Would ya'll recommend Gluvit or Zolatone for the inside I have heard good things about both and would like to know how they compare.

First I've heard of Zolatone. I used Gluvit, 2 thin coats better than one thick. In this heat it should cure in a couple days. Mid 90's all this week in Miss.

Gluvit is a sealer and needs to be protected from sunlight.

Last edited:

rayguy

Recruit

The cleats and the flange down the side look a lot like Alumacraft but being a novice I could be way off base.

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

Going thurs. to look at a Johnson 40hp with controls, steering, cable, and tank for $275 for it. Probably buying primer soon as well

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

Where did ya'll get your rustoleum paint? did you use the Marine paint or just the professional? Do I have to order it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My Lowes has the marine rustoleum on an end cap in the paint dept. Regular works fine also. Any bare aluminum will need to be hit with self etching primer. I was able to find Duplicolor's etching primer reasonably priced at Pep-Boys in rattle cans. You only need a light dusting of the stuff.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just finished painting my starcraft with the Rustoleum Professional. Works great! I sprayed it on after thinning it with penetrol. The rustoleum is great paint!

Titanty

Seaman Apprentice

OP,
The boat had numbers on it...I assume that is for the local registry. Check with them for the old title and it should have some kind of ID for it.

Just a guess.

-DannyBoy-

Seaman

What did you use to strip the paint? Looks like it worked!?

leadpencil2

Seaman Apprentice

Here is some info from the 1965 Alumacraft line up. It looks like a Bell Mara to me.

Attachments

• 1-2.JPG
    1-2.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1966 Alumacraft Specs.jpg
    1966 Alumacraft Specs.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1966 Alumacraft catalog.jpg
    1966 Alumacraft catalog.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

long time since I have posted....the paint came the other day rustoleum marine red and white.
I have been working on the motor a 1960 40hp johnson it is leaking oil out of where the shift shaft comes thru the gear case so I am going to try to pick up a gear case seal kit tomorrow if i can find one local if not I can order one.

that 1965 alumacraft looks about right but it is only 14' not 17' I will have to look up some of the other ones listed that are 14' and figure out which one it is.

I am trying to plan out how to do the interior so I have plenty of seating and storage. I am considering making a bench seat across the back that could be folded straight and flipped over to make a casting deck...working on figuring out the design...thinking about somehow putting a track on both sides so I could just grab the back rest and pull it toward the front until flat then push it back in the track to make a casting deck covering the tank and batt.

what do ya'll think any suggestions are appreciated

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

P.S. I tried to run the WN number and they said it didn't exist...so will post pics when I get it painted.

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

can ya'll post some pictures of the interiors of your mid 60's boats so I can get some ideas on how I want to do the interior.