Don S Winterization link not working

fritzL

Seaman
Hey All
So I was.searching for instruction to winterize my 2.3L OMC motor and Cobra outdrive.

I found a short post and it referenced "Don S, winterization . Searching I found a list of his links.

The one for winterization is HOW TO: Winterize your engine and drive...and it is a dead link.

Can anyone provide this info or.a.valid link?

Thank you
F

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with muffs - warm engine
change oil and filter
while on the muffs, fire for a second or two until you get oil pressure to ensure no leaks
remove muffs
drain engine block, manifolds and hoses
probe drains
engine is now winterized

if you want to put AF in the engine, use a funnel at the thermostat housing and pour into thermostat housing

remove drive to inspect gimbal/bellows/alignment (address as required)
change drive fluid
drive now winterized

Fun Times

Staff member

Do you recall where you found the list? It seems to be working on my end...See number 11, https://forums.iboats.com/threads/adults-only-no-exceptions.283488/

Thanks

fritzL

Seaman
with muffs - warm engine
change oil and filter
while on the muffs, fire for a second or two until you get oil pressure to ensure no leaks
remove muffs
drain engine block, manifolds and hoses
probe drains
engine is now winterized

if you want to put AF in the engine, use a funnel at the thermostat housing and pour into thermostat housing

remove drive to inspect gimbal/bellows/alignment (address as required)
change drive fluid
drive now winterized
Thank you
Please clarify "remove drive".
All the best
Fritz

fritzL

Seaman
Yearly drive removal for inspection
Apologies, for I am newb. The drive must be removed from the craft every fall? Perhaps I misunderstand, the entire drive?

Just outside of Lake Geneva WI and the weather is turning. I had just changed all fluids this year, and the boat doesnt even have 3 hours on it this year, mostly been on muffs.

New fluids in:
Lower unit
tilt/trim, it was empty
oil and filter
Petrol, filled

So far I have put the STABIL in the fuel tank.

Thank you for your patience.

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Apologies, for I am newb. The drive must be removed from the craft every fall? Perhaps I misunderstand, the entire drive?

Just outside of Lake Geneva WI and the weather is turning. I had just changed all fluids this year, and the boat doesnt even have 3 hours on it this year, mostly been on muffs.

New fluids in:
Lower unit
tilt/trim, it was empty
oil and filter
Petrol, filled

So far I have put the STABIL in the fuel tank.

Thank you for your patience.
If you are doing thing 100%, yes, removed each season. But honestly, at our marina here in Pa with fresh water, boats don’t have the drives pulled for years, some decades. Most here only pull them once an issue arises.
So should you -yep, but I bet most do not based on my local experience.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
On the OMC Cobra remember there are 3 drain plugs on the pivot housing (the part of the transom mount that the drive bolts to) that should be removed and rodded out to drain ant trapped water. One on the port side and 2 on the starboard side. Have to tilt the drive up a bit to see them. Water will usually drain from the port side. It will drain from the starboard side lower one only if the gasket between the drive & pivot housing leaks.
cobra drain 1.jpgcobra drain 2.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you are doing thing 100%, yes, removed each season. But honestly, at our marina here in Pa with fresh water, boats don’t have the drives pulled for years, some decades. Most here only pull them once an issue arises.
So should you -yep, but I bet most do not based on my local experience.
If you wait to pull it when an “issue” arises that “issue” can wind up costing a grand or more due to a leaking bellows. Even in fresh water never removing an outdrive can result in one that….can’t be removed! Without paying a small mechanic to jam himself into the bilge and cut the driveshaft with a sawzall!

fritzL

Seaman
Thanks everyone.
Hot her done tonight.
I did notice, unlike the above picture of the Cobra outdrive, mine did not have water drains on the starboard side.

Attachments

• 20211026_175619.jpg
    20211026_175619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have 2 Cobra transom assemblies one is on the boat the other is a spare and both have all 3 drains. I’m wondering if it’s an early model (1986) maybe the drains were added later. The drains on the starboard side are there (top is the vent bottom is the actual drain) in case water gets into the internal pocket for the shifter bell crank. If enough water seeped in it could crack the gear case. I have never had water in there but the one on the port side always drains. Not having the drains on the stbd side I might…remove the drive, inspect & grease the bellows gimble bearing and ujoints (should be done any way each year) clean out and grease the bell crank area then reinstall the drive with a new gasket. This way if there’s water in there you let it drain and do the yearly drive Maintenance at the same time.