DOH! i forgot.. twin battery switch wiring.

geddron1976

Cadet
Hi all...
now allow me to completely embarras myself and give you all a good laugh!:(

I recently had to bin my old evinrude 60 and have installed a mercury 75hp of around the same age (ancient 1986 model) anyhoo, it's a good running engine and it goes like stink on my 17' wilson flyer! :)

Now, the embarrasing bit...

when i removed the old engine and wiring, i had to dismantle the wiring to the 3 way (dial type) battery switch. this switch has 4 positions, batt1 batt2 both and off.
inside the switch there are 2 poles for the positive (+) but only 1 for the negative (-)
I have 2 positive leads (1 on each battery) which i am quite certain fit to the 2 (+) terminals on the switch, howver i only have 1 (-) lead coming from the batteries.
I am not sure but i think the main power lead for the engine (+) went to one of the (+) battery terminals but i am not sure what to do with the negative?

whichever way i seem to think it may work, i always end up with 1 negative wire less than i need!?

anyone got a clue that could put me out of my misery? PLEASE?:redface:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: DOH! i forgot.. twin battery switch wiring.

Look at my drawing...
NewBilgeDrawing.jpg

There are NO grounds that get wired to the switch! Disregard the ACR (Automatic Charging Relay), this is how your switch is wired...

geddron1976

Cadet

Many thanks seabob! i managed to make sense of it all after removing the items from the wiring diagram that weren't present on my boat..

Everything is now back up and running, including the gearbox on the mercury 75hp! managed to align everything back up after changing the selector shaft bush seal and bolt her back together!

Just waiting for a new quart of gear oil to top her up and give her a test in the tank..

thanks again for your reply, it was a god send..

happy boating!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You too, glad to help!:)