Dogs

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Dogs

G Guy...how sad, yet what a great story...I love Chocolate Labs more than any other dog, but have never been able to have one. I am in an apartment right now, but when we get our next house we are planning on getting one...maybe two, male & female...

gaugeguy

Captain

Here's the story Spratt...<br /><br />We got her when she was 9 months, she was kept in a basement her whole life, never seen the light of day. My wife felt sorry for her and took her home cause she was extrememly friendly to my wife. I got home from work, I said "come here pup" and she peed all over the floor. When I brought her outside for the first time she literally was shaking with fear as everything she did was a brand new experience. As with all labs, she does get ear infections every now and then. I do have to put medicine in there and swab out the gunk about once a month. She is very timid, if you raise your hand she cowers as if she is going to be hit, that's why I suspect abuse.

gaugeguy

Captain

Well NYM and Spratt, she does test my patience quite a bit, but all in all she is a great family dog. I wanted a lab that I could train to be a gun dog for upland birds, but she just can't do it. So my options are to get rid of her and get a new one or keep her the way she is. The decision was made only after a couple days when I saw my boys (who were 1 and 2 at the time) crawling all over her and she would just lay there and take it.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My dog (Rebel) is almost 3. He is lab/boxer. He is as hyper today as he was at 3 months old.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Funny this subject came up. As a lot of you know I had to put my old girl down this past year. We are now ready to take on another dog, and finally think we have settled on an English lab. Just a couple of questions of those that have pure bred labs. <br /><br />I would like a good hunting dog (water fowl) with a laid back type of personality,, is there such an animal?<br /><br />Do the English labs shed all year round?<br /><br />Can a hunting dog be trained to "NOT" chase large game on and around the home property,, such as deer and turkey?<br /><br /> Being one to go through with something once I commit, this is a decision I am not taking lightly. I have done quite a bit of research on this bread and they seem to be the dog to fit the bill. Any thoughts??<br /><br />Also any tips on finding reputable breeders would highly appreciated.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

gg - ever look into getting a Drathar? <br /><br />I'll be breeding mine again this comming February (mid-late month) and pups should be ready the end of June some time. Depending what she welps (I estimate 9) I should have three unspoken for.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Flahthead:<br /> Funny this subject came up. As a lot of you know I had to put my old girl down this past year. We are now ready to take on another dog, and finally think we have settled on an English lab. Just a couple of questions of those that have pure bred labs. <br /><br />I would like a good hunting dog (water fowl) with a laid back type of personality,, is there such an animal?<br /><br />Do the English labs shed all year round?<br /><br />Can a hunting dog be trained to "NOT" chase large game on and around the home property,, such as deer and turkey?<br /><br /> Being one to go through with something once I commit, this is a decision I am not taking lightly. I have done quite a bit of research on this bread and they seem to be the dog to fit the bill. Any thoughts??<br /><br />Also any tips on finding reputable breeders would highly appreciated.
Chesapeake retriever. Very well to fit the description

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> gg - ever look into getting a Drathar?
Never heard of them Barlow. I'm not really in the market for a new pup. Tylerin is talking me into getting into duck hunting and when his pup sires a litter I'll be looking at them, gotta love those championship hunting bloodlines. Thanks for the offer though.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks y'all. I know its not fleas, I've checked <br />him. <br /><br />I will try some of the suggestions y'all gave and<br /> see if they work. I just feel so bad for him. I <br />think I'll start with the benedryl for the dog then <br />I'll take the anti-depressants the vet gave us. ;)

tylerin

Commander

Flathead, The English style lab isn't your best bet for hunting. They don't have the desire or stamina as a lab w/ Field trial, or Hunting Champion, Master Hunter, Jr. Hunter, type bloodlines. My current hunting Lab is an English. My 12 week old Lab is a Hunting bred Lab. Different as black and white. I have chickens and horses and none of my Labs chase them. My friend "Redwing" has taught them that. Not that I don't agree with NY but Chessies are waterfowl dogs and difficult to train to quarter in the field on upland. They're also 1 person dogs. I do like them, but wouldn't own one. I will never own another English lab again after working with my new hunter, but many breeders are combining the 2. The English do shed more and often but remember I live in Ca, so climate makes a difference. If you need help let me know in locating a good reputable lab breeder. I'm training my lab on weekends at a training facility and I know a breeder that travels all over the US and she's good. She more than likely will "Finish" my pup.

tylerin

Commander

17928DSC00320.JPG
<br />Here's Bullet on wings at 8 weeks, he's doing full water retrieves now at 12. Sits, heels, stays and been shot over. Its a "Game" to them and some athletes are better than others in playing the game.

tylerin

Commander

watersook labs <br />Flathead I did some searches for you and there's not many breeders in your area. Reputable anyway. I'm sure there's backyard breeders but its a crapshoot. I highly recommend waiting for a good litter. Here's one of my favorite breeders in Ca. They do ship and I'd be glad to assist in any way. These dogs flat out hunt

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

gg- AKA - German Wirehaired Pointers<br /><br />n/p .. good luck.<br /><br />not tryin' to sell ya on'em but here's a pic of Elle at 13yrs in my old back yard... 100yrd retrieves were no problem.<br /><br /><br />
mmue9

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Cool Beans tylerin ... good luck with bullet.<br /><br />ditto on the Chessies ... unless you're a glutton for punishment.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LadyFish...our dog has the same problem,the vet told me to give her Benadryl,worked for her.I don't have to give it to her all the time,just when her allergies act up.Its funny,it's like she Knows.she'll follow you around the house until you give her a pill(just give it to her,don't have to trick her or nothing)

tylerin

Commander

I love those dogs too Barlow I just stick w/ what I know. Same reason I buy Chevy. Cool pic

FLATHEAD

Captain

Thanks guys just the kind of info I was looking for. Nothing like practical experience verses what you can read on the net. <br /><br />Tylerin thanks for the link, very helpful.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I have a lab/setter mix, big ole red dog. He's 10 years old. For the past few months he's been itchin, diggin, and chewin on himself to the point he is making himself raw, mostly on his top rear section. A bath only seems to irritate him worse, dipping will make him insane. <br /><br />Last year I brought him to the vets for it and she put him on an anti-depressant. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Anyway, the situation has returned but seems worse now than ever before. A friend of ours told me to buy benzodine. I have no idea what that is or how to use it.<br /><br />Does anyone have experience with this problem and/or treatment? :confused:
First off, does he have or have you seen any fleas on him?<br />If so, get some bio spot flea and tick control.<br />It works.<br />Also, get the vet to give you a prescription of "Primor". It's an anti-biotic that you will need.<br />Then get a prescription of "Prednisone" 5MG pills.<br />Follow the instructions on the bottle to help with the itching part of his problem.<br /><br />Also get you some "Vita-Treat", pet calm to calm him down. This is given per weight that is on side of bottle.<br /><br />If you want him well, do that and he will be in good shape in a matter of days.

spratt

Lieutenant

Sen a pickup on my way home last night, and they had a sign hangin out "Chocolate Lab Pups for Sale!!!"<br /><br />Man I wish I had a place to be able to keep one, they would have probably sold me one!!!