Dogs

NYMINUTE

Captain
Does anyone have a Chocolate Lab? I have a 4 year old female. She is the highest maintenence dog I ever had. Demanding, head strong, smart, and cunning. This dog will slap me in the leg with paws, bark at me to get her a chew, every night at exactly the same time, empty out the toy box to find a specfic toy, on and on. She has sucessfully opened gate latches, toilet seat tops, even the kitchen trash container metal with a foot pedal is no match. She is a fun dog, atheletic, and friendly. Are all Labs this high maintenence? I also have a 2 year old Great Dane. She is clueless. Had a Border Collie for 17 years (yes 17) Never this demanding.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Dogs

I have a 5 year old female chocolate lab, and she is dumb as a doorknob. Afraid of water, gun-shy, doesn't like to ride in vehicles, afraid of the stove and dishwasher, and also afraid of deep voices. She is wonderful with my boys and that is the only reason I have kept her. The only mischief she really gets into is she goes into my sons room at night, takes a book off his bookshelf and brings it downstairs and shreds it.

tylerin

Commander

3 labs.. 1 Chocolate (my 11 year old hunting dog), 1 Yellow lab (wifes lap dog :eek: ), and my new Black (12 weeks) soon to take over the Chocolates hunting duties. There's various type of Lab breedings, You have your English style, lower profile Labs and they are a bit mellower and you have your Field Champion (bit leaner and faster) style. The FC style are a bit more hyper. But by 4 she should be growing out of it by now. Is she fixed. My trained dog works on whistle comands, and my 12 weeker already is starting to learn. Highly intelligent dogs for sure. If you don't train them they will train you. 4:00 California time Thats why I'm up so early Time to go to the lake for 1/2 hour work on water retrieves

NYMINUTE

Captain

She is fixed, I'm afraid she has trained me. She obeys commands from my wife instantly. She thinks I'm playing. She swims, rides well in cars. She doesn't like other dogs, except the Dane. The dane is her staff.

gaugeguy

Captain

Funny NY, Dutch (my lab) obeys commands from my wife instantly also. I could have a treat in my hand and ask her to sit and she'll look at me like "what are you talking about?" It's frustrating to me sometimes.

tylerin

Commander

Not to late to train her, but in order for you to train her you'll have to change. Not easy at this point. I've talk w/ Gauge on many occasions about his dog and fears of guns and water and other things that can't be taught at this point but I don't see that as your problem

tylerin

Commander

Gauges next dog will be fathered by (BULLET) :D I'll get pick of the litter

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />I've talk w/ Gauge on many occasions about his dog and fears of guns and water and other things that can't be taught at this point
Yup, she's just a pet that likes to go for walks. I've tried to get her to swim and she just shakes uncontrollably...I suspect abuse from the previous owners (we got her when she was 9 mos. old), all in all she is a great family dog.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> Gauges next dog will be fathered by (BULLET) :D I'll get pick of the litter
No I'm not gonna shoot my dog :D Bullet is Tylerin's black lab ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

I have a lab/setter mix, big ole red dog. He's 10 years old. For the past few months he's been itchin, diggin, and chewin on himself to the point he is making himself raw, mostly on his top rear section. A bath only seems to irritate him worse, dipping will make him insane. <br /><br />Last year I brought him to the vets for it and she put him on an anti-depressant. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Anyway, the situation has returned but seems worse now than ever before. A friend of ours told me to buy benzodine. I have no idea what that is or how to use it.<br /><br />Does anyone have experience with this problem and/or treatment? :confused:

gaugeguy

Captain

My buddy had a rotty with the same problem, he used something called "Happy Jack skin balm" with pretty good success.

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks you two. You even gave me an answer without<br />bustin my chops or anything. :p <br /><br />You two feeling okay? :D

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like your dog has fleas LF. If not try some lotion made for horses.<br /><br />NYMINUTE, that is the discription of a smart dog. Sounds like your dog beleives your wife is the alpha. Dogs respond best to physical punishment by the alpha male/female, trick is to do it while caught in the act and without breaking their spirit. Of course your dog might beleive he's the alpha in your family.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ladyfish, it could be mange. A friends dog (golden retreiver) had the same problem...itching, chewing on himself constantly and developed hot spots. The took him to the vet many many times and it never got any better. This went on for so long, they had no choice but to consider putting poor Dusty to sleep. They ended up taking him to Cornell University and they were the ones that diagnosed the mange. Whatever was perscribed cleared up the problem in no time. <br />After thinking back to what might have caused it, they remembered that not too long before it started, Dusty had cleared out a den of foxes and it was transmitted to him by them. Hope this helps, bring the possiblilty to your vets attention. Good Luck.

tylerin

Commander

Good majority of skin problems in dogs are allergy related. Occuring more often in older dogs. Many (not all) allergies come from their diet. Look to see what your feeding your dog L/F. Science diet and Nutro both sell a skin sensitive dog food. Have you switched his diet lately. Costco sells 1000mg fish oil pills. All my dogs get them and it keeps their coat shiney, so I figure their skin is probably healthy. I think the benzodine is putting a Band-aid on the problem but not getting to the source. I know Spinner has had litters of Rottys and may have a better answer for you.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ladyfish, try teatree oil spray. Should be able to get it from pet store, or online pet store if not. It has antibacterial, antifungal, properties plus tastes bad so they tend not to keep chewing. I've used this on two dogs with very bad skin problems (chewing, infection, etc) with great results in both cases!<br /><br />NYMINUTE, sounds like from your dogs perspective view your wife is the alpha, the dogs the beta, and you are lowest in the pack. If you really want to change that, check out a book by The Monks of New Skeet (library or pick up a copy from the bookstore). They specialize in raising and training German Shepards. I think it's called How To Be Your Dogs Best Friend. <br /><br />It explains how dogs perceive things, which is often completely counterintuitive to how we humans think they would. Explains how to train/ socialize them using a dogs nature to accomplish your goals. Will tell you specifically what you need to do to move your position back ahead of the dog in your 'pack'. Great book, I'd recommend it to anyone who owns or is thinking about owning a dog!

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> Sounds like your dog has fleas LF. If not try some lotion made for horses.<br />
So, now let me get this straight...if the dog doesn't have fleas, then perhaps it has horses? And there is a lotion for that?<br /><br />Sorry, couldn't pass up the opportunity... :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> I have a 5 year old female chocolate lab, and she is dumb as a doorknob. Afraid of water, gun-shy, doesn't like to ride in vehicles, afraid of the stove and dishwasher, and also afraid of deep voices. She is wonderful with my boys and that is the only reason I have kept her. The only mischief she really gets into is she goes into my sons room at night, takes a book off his bookshelf and brings it downstairs and shreds it.
Makes me wonder if she has a hearing sensitivity problem...deep voices, gun shy, riding in vehicles (maybe the noise?)...just a thought...

NYMINUTE

Captain

My heart goes out to her gaugeguy. It takes a lot of courage and heart to take her in. There are not enough people like you and your wife willing to be patient with a pet. Reading that reinforced my "let her run the place" attitude with mine. I got her as a pup (7 weeks) right after my Border Collie passed. She was with me 17 years. So this one immediatly was babied. She found my weakness, and is smart enough to train me. She is a good dog, just high maintenence. Good luck with yours, love her up.