Dogs on boats

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Dogs on boats

Labs will swim themselves to the point of total exhaustion if you let them. Life jackets may seem silly for a water dog but they can find themselves in trouble pretty quick. Mine are both over 100#'s and we got them the RuffWear X-tra large ones, they fit them the best. The handle on the back is a must. Works well with a boat hook to retrieve the retriever! No way I'd be able to pull either of them up onto the swim deck without the jackets.

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Intersting topic as i just brought our chocolate lab duke out for his first boat ride this past sunday. He hates the car and does not do well in it so we figured this was likely to be the same so we stayed local.

I will say, he is not a huge fan of going above no wake speed, but after we managed to get him to jump off the boat, and go swimming and then semi-taught him how to climb up the ladder with a nice tug on the collar, he was a happy camper. he was EXHAUSTED by the time we rolled in. i think he will grow to like it.

Im tempted to invest in a doggie ladder but they are either too expensive or dont work. so i may just build one.

I had the same concern about the nails on the vinyl so i threw some towels down, although the nails didnt seam to be a problem either way.

250245_574143809460_41900138_32135246_7191821_n.jpg

249422_574144143790_41900138_32135251_2552304_n.jpg

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

attachment.php

Sadie (Cairn terrier) pretty much goes every time we go. She loves the water.

I was working on the boat up near the camp the other day and couldn't find her. Went down to the lake and she was swimming with about 6 or 7 of the neighbor kids.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a doxie and he's trained to go on a potty pad so no messes in the boat. Since doxie's are not water dogs he has his own life jacket and we put his harness (not collar) on him and hook him to a ring bolt I instaled when nedded.

red

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have to take our and daughter's dogs to shore. Luckily our primary lake has lots of COE shoreline. When daughter's dog starts whining to go, we have to watch him when he sees we are headed to shore because he will jump in trying to get to there faster. Really weird how they know stuff like that!

Wife and I were at a different lake and needed to stop for dog potty break. We pulled up to this closed down marina that we'd never been to. A HUGE goose had taken over the place and would not let wife/dog off the dock. So, we headed down to a public launch/park. Wife/dog got to shore and another big dog came charging them barking. Wife grabbed up our dog and got peed on. I laughed and she got mad :) Luckily, the dog just barked a lot and owner quickly retrieved it.

debo1683

Cadet

We are new to boating this summer. We have an Australian Shepard and have taken her out twice. The first time she was a little wound up. The second she fell asleep on the floor most of the afternoon. I tried to get her to go in the water, but she wants nothing to do with it. I would suggest a life jacket and making the dog wear it before you get on the boat. That's what we did with our pup, and she was good to go! Good luck!

southkogs

Staff member

Our dogs have gone out with us for years. We have a smaller hound mix who doesn't care for the water much, but he makes it okay on the boat. The other dog is a golden retriever - she was made for the lake, and I think she's pretty convinced the lake was made just for her. Someone earlier in the thread said that they will swim themselves to exhaustion, and their correct. She'll go until she doesn't have enough strength to get back in the boat. I strongly suggest a good life preserver, especially one with handle on the back to help haul 'em back out. Which, even at her 80lbs, is usually not a problem.

I have had several retrievers and most all of them have been excellent in the boat. However, I did have one that thought that the other boats on the lake were ducks to be "retrieved." You had to watch him CLOSE. Even at speed he'd make for the gunwale and dive in after a 22ft "duck" that just passed us at about 35 knots. Had to chase him down a couple of times :D.

In all of those years - all of those dogs - and three different boats - not a single hole in the vinyl.

cr2k

Captain

If you want to keep the GF the dog goes. Anymore questions? Didn't think so...

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We take both our dogs out everytime and they love it! Never had a problem with claws on the vinyl. Be sure to get life jackets, plenty of water, and shade.
59032_1486856943940_1609424672_1202813_5992945_n.jpg

250997_1904643268337_1609424672_1878162_4948070_n.jpg

60207_1492521165542_1609424672_1213986_8330708_n.jpg

204 Escape

Ensign

We are going to try taking my wifes Miniature Schnauzer this week-end. Got him a lifejacket yesterday. He barks alot, so this shouold be interesting !!!!!! :0