Dog instead of cat topic.

Twidget

Commander
Just to change things up from the cat threads. :) <br /><br />I live in a new housing development. Our lot sizes are 50 x 110, plop a 2k square foot house on it and there isnt much yard left.<br /><br />One of my neighbors have a Shih Tzu mix. They installed a doggie door so he doesnt mess up the house. They leave early in the day and dont get home until 8 or so at night. The little mutt, I dont know how he does it, will bark for 2 or 3 hours, take a little time off and start over. <br /><br />In the evenings, we turn the kitchen lights on to eat dinner, so the little turd stands next to the fence and barks while we eat. Not to mention, I work out of the house and have to hear him all day. :mad: <br /><br />I have tried talking to the owner. He put an anti barking collar on the dog for a couple of days, but his wife made him take it off. She said it was cruel to the dog.<br /><br />Any advice on how to handle this? The other neighbors are annoyed too, but wont say anything because they have dogs themselves that bark quite a bit.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Dog instead of cat topic.

You are entitled to peace in your own home but some neigbors can't see that, if it was their sleep that was disturbed they would be screaming blue murder.<br /><br />You are well within your rights to complain to the local animal control people - but it'll cause friction with your neigbor. <br /><br />It'll come down to whether or not you want to stay friendly with them. Might be time to brush up on your diplomacy skills.<br /><br />Aldo

FSHKPR

Ensign

i called the neighbor twice for the barking dog that they leave in a outdoor kennel which is about 25 feet from my bedroom window. thier bedroom window is on the other side of the house and in the front besides. they cant hear the dog. the first time i called i was real nice about it and asked them if they would please check on thier dog to see if it was alright because it has been barking for the last hour. the second time i called i still tried to be polite but i did end up with saying i wont call a third time. i will call the police next.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Put the collar on the wife till she stops wining and does something about the dog...Chief :D

ob

Admiral

My MIL had one of them little nippy ****zu dogs.I hated that little snipping ungrateful mutt. :D :D <br /><br />I think he lived to be about 18 or something. :D <br /><br />I feel for you in dealing with the neighbor about the barking. :(

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> Put the collar on the wife till she stops wining and does something about the dog...Chief :D
Good Idea! <Evil Grin> here :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Twidget .. what you need to get are a couple Black and Tan coon hounds!! :D <br /><br />Fight fire with fire! ;) <br /><br />When the neighbors get home and the little dust mop retreats inside @8pm.. wake up 'Jeb' and 'Clay' for a little fun outdoors! Inform the other nieghbors of this prior to letting 'em out tho. <br /><br />You'll find that right after sunset just when the folks next door are cuddling their little 'ankle biter' and watching a peaceful re-run of some crap - that this is the optimal time to let'em go outside and play. :D <br /><br /> If you can live trap a coon and keep him close to the lot line between you two - 'the boys' will go ape wild yelpin', barkin' and howlin' until they pass out from exaustion.<br /><br /><br />BTW - keep water close so they can keep their vocal cords moist. :cool: :D

dolluper

Captain

Make friends with the rat by giving it peanut butter on toast, it will be to busy smacking and licking it's lips,teeth[entertainment value too for you real funny]that it won't bark .It might whine untill it gets it's daily fix :D :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I got a dog once from a friend who was moving. This dog was full grown , an Afghan, and a barker. I put the dog in the back yard (fenced) when I went to work and evidently he barked all day long. The woman next door didn't say anything to me about it but all of a sudden I was served with a subpoena to appear in small claims court or some such. They told me to either shut up the dog or get rid of it. The dog obviously didn't pay attention to me when I told it to stop barking so I had to get rid of an expensive dog.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have a Great Dane that barks more than I can handle sometimes. I live in a rural area, so neighbors are not an issue. I found that my old flip flop across the butt does a fine job. My lab usually only barks when there is a distrubance. When the dane sees the flip flop she shuts down, so now I hang it in the kennel where I can grab and swat swiftly.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

How about a garden hose, squirt gun, or even a sprinkler set up to get him wet? I lived on a lot about the same size as you have. My neighbors had a beagle. Man that dog would bark around the clock. After putting in a sprinkler that would just happen to come on when he would bark stopped it. If he really needed to bark because of someone being in out back yard, it wouldn't matter if he got wet or not. The dog would do his job as a watch dog.<br /><br />My neighbor didn't have any problem with it since he had a hard time getting it to quit barking also.<br /><br />Just a thought that might work for you. Good Luck

salty87

Commander

get their work or cell phone numbers and share their lovely dog's excitement with them, frequently, during the day/night.

Twidget

Commander

Thanks for all the advice.<br /><br />We have 6 ft wooden privacy fences, so the water wont work. I tried it, cant get it through the fence.<br /><br />Maybe the peanut butter or marshmallow trick, if I can find a hole in the fence. <br /><br />Now Chief's idea...that has real potential. :) <br /><br />My big problem is catching them at home. They get in late and dont answer the door. Their number in unlisted, so I cant get that.<br /><br />I have considered writing a letter and sending it registered mail. My wife says that would lead to an upset neighbor, but she hates the barking as much as I do. I'm getting to the point that their feelings dont matter much to me though.

Carphunter

Commander

Ain't nothin a well-placed arrow wouldn't take care of.<br /><br />......at least cats don't bark. I hate dogs. ;)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Climb a ladder and dump a 5 gal. pail of water on the brat. Mix a gallon of ammonia in it the second time. I have a barking neighbor dog problem too, but I like the relationship I have with the neighbors. Too bad they didn't train the dogs to behave when they were younger. Touchy situation. I've let the neighbors know I don't like the barking and they're embarrased about it but won't do much but call the dogs inside. I've tried a lot of silly things. Sprayed 'em with a hose, yelled, threw things, swung at 'em with a shovel, gave 'em treats, I tossed a jar of my own **** at them once... That incessant barking will make you take desperate measures I guess. It's too cold here to soak a dog right now but this summer they're getting the super soaker of ammonia if they keep it up.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

So you spoke to 'em once & they tried something. That's a start. <br /><br />I agree with the wife, the registered letter should wait until you're ready to let the relationship deteriorate. Otherwise you've got to talk to 'em again a couple times. Leave a note on the door. Every day for a couple three days if you need to. But keep it friendly -remember anything you put it in writing might be seen by anybody. <br /><br />I don't see any point in threatening - just call animal control, but only after you've had a few friendly discussions about it. Somebody mentions my dog barking 2 or 3 times, I would just assume they're ready to call the pound.<br /><br />just my 2¢

Twidget

Commander

Update<br /><br />I spoke with the wife yesterday. She made the comment that I probably had a peaceful day because the dog was getting groomed.<br /><br />I told her that when no one was home, the dog barked nonstop. She didn't seem surprised at all.<br /><br />I got an airhorn from Wally World last night. I'm waiting for the little bugger to start up in the morning. This should be interesting.