Doesn't anybody curb their tires anymore...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
...when parked on an incline? My street has a pretty good slope to it & I always curb my tires when parked on the street, but nobody else in the neighborhood does. Did that practice go out with auto transmissions? I'm talking about turning your wheels into the curb facing downhill, & away from the curb facing uphill. Prevents a runaway situation in the event of a collision.<br /><br />I can tell you, it don't take much of a tap to start a car rolling if all that's holding it is the auto tranny.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Doesn't anybody curb their tires anymore...

Nope, I don't. Tranny in Park, Emergency brake always on... even on flat land.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

KaGee, if you ever see a parking dog inside a auto tranny, you would.<br />Not much of a piece to hold a vehicle back.<br /><br />Got into the habit a long time ago when driving sticks all the time and it just carried over to the autos for me.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do. One of my vehicles is a five speed, so it's a habit no matter what vehicle I'm driving. Considering that the only thing holding an auto in place is a 1/4" piece of metal, I think it's a good practice regardless.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I do. Takes no effort and it helps with the peace of mind when I leave a vehicle. Got a 2003 CRV w/5 speed (Not real common) and when I use it it gets curbed, can't speak to what Ann does, probably doesn't.

NOSLEEP

Commander

When I was on the bench I replaced a few park<br />pawls that had failed, especially on chev 350 &<br />400 trans.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Around here when you go for your license at the regitry one of the questions is about curbing!!!<br /><br />then again after you get your license, "who Cares!!!' ;) :cool: <br /><br />On the serious end of this, I grew up on the steepest hill in town and when I visit the relatives, I curb and emergency brake the hill!!!! ;) :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> When I was on the bench I replaced a few park<br />pawls that had failed, especially on chev 350 &<br />400 trans.
Ford was notorious for the pawl failures.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I worked on fords C-4, C-5, C-6, FMX, & AOD.<br />Dodges 904, 727, <br />Chev 350,& 400 were the most problematic, most<br />of the chevy sun gears and planetaries looked <br />like they were pressed out of sardine cans.<br />Had very few park pawl failures on Fords. But<br />there was a T.S.B. Bulletin in the 70's for bad<br />park pawls on fixed dated C-6'S.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> KaGee, if you ever see a parking dog inside a auto tranny, you would.<br />Not much of a piece to hold a vehicle back.<br /><br />Got into the habit a long time ago when driving sticks all the time and it just carried over to the autos for me.
Whis is why I use Emergency Brake whenever I park, no matter the terain. <br />BTW, it's as flat as a pancake around here.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

alway wondered what happens to the tranny when the paw breaks, is it wrecked?

Homerr

Commander

Well, 'round here... the redneck way is to just park it next to a tree, or your buddies car! :) <br /><br />I've owned Fords all my driving life, and I've never seen a parking pawl break.<br />It would make an awful mess inside the Tran if one did however... I've rebuilt a few automatic transmissions (Ford C4, C6, FMX) The pawls aren't the best in the world, but again.. I've never seen one fail.<br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I even do it on the boat ramps, where there isn't even a curb.<br /><br />I'd rather have the truck turn and jacknife the trailer, than see the whole works roll into 8 feet of water.<br /><br />People used to honk and tell me I was dragging a chain and brick down the highway, but that was my parking brake. :)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Isn't it the law someplaces? I think San Francisco maybe? Everybody does it there.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The next time you see that, check the guy's tag. I'll bet he is from Florida or some other armpit of the planet that's featurless, and dead-flat.<br />In Florida , at least the southern end of it, is flatter than flat....No need for all that curbing stuff. Seriously, it's that flat. But absolutely never do I get out of my truck on an incline like a boat ramp, without setting the parking brake, and cutting the wheels one way or the other.<br />Still, even tho it's falt down here, it's still very dangerous not to curb yer dawg.