Does waterpump push or pull water?

bben76

Seaman
I have a 1971 60hp elect shift Johnshon. Recently I replaced the impeller.

I noticed when I removed the impeller that 3 blades were missing. I found two of them. I want to ensure that the third is not stuck in the powerhead.

When I was examining the pump and tubes and how it connects into the lower unit it seems like the waterpump pulls water through the powerhead vs. push water through. If this is the case then I don't have to worry about that third fin being stuck in the powerhead, I can assume it got ate by the waterpump.

Hopefully how I described this makes sense. Hope someone can help me understand if the waterpump pushes or pulls water through the powerhead?

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does waterpump push or pull water?

I think it pushes water up the watertube and into the engine.

WTPhantom309

Seaman

Hello, Im pretty sure ur motor is like mine, it pulls water through the intake holes in the lower unit and pushes it up through the motor and out the relief or tattle tale, when i changed my impeller there was a blade missing and i found it down in the intake holes by the screen. hope this helps a little. just my $.02

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The water pump definitely pushes water through the engine. There is a fair chance the lost vanes (or the remants of them) are somewhere in the cooling system.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I think most impeller blades are too large to fit through the water tube. Check yours.

The pump does push the water up through the block.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

And the impeller dosen't really draft or pull water up into the pump housing. That's why we always say to make sure the water level is above the lower unit to mid section mating line if your running in a drum or garbage can.

ob

Admiral

Outboard water pumps are not self priming but classed as possitive displacement.Once primed they both pull and discharge water at an equal rate.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Once primed and running in forward gear at speed, the pump recieves water from the intake screens that are strategically placed so as to ensure a positive supply of water to the pump. It is entirely correct that they don't "suck" water worth a hoot, which is why the pump should be submerged in a tank or even on a boat at startup.

bben76

Seaman

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated!