Does VP go nuts on revisons and models vs. Mercrusier?

hostage

Lieutenant
I have owned a Mercrusier for years, though just got a bigger boat with a VP. When ever I look up a part no for the VP, no matter how small or simple there has been a few different revisions. Does VP go this crazy with PNs or have I never looked to close at Mercrusier

tpenfield

Staff member
I have noticed a fair amount of parts superseding original parts on the Mercruisers I have owned. Not a big deal, as usually the original part is NLA and it prompts you to look up the current part.

I could have gotten VP 350's in the boat I bought last year, but did not want to go through the VP learning curve. The parts tend to be more expensive anyway. So, I opted for one that had the Mercruisers.

Tell us what you got for your 'new' boat . . .

hostage

Lieutenant
I have noticed a fair amount of parts superseding original parts on the Mercruisers I have owned. Not a big deal, as usually the original part is NLA and it prompts you to look up the current part.

I could have gotten VP 350's in the boat I bought last year, but did not want to go through the VP learning curve. The parts tend to be more expensive anyway. So, I opted for one that had the Mercruisers.

2011 Regal 2300 with 5.7LGiC 300HP Dual Prop.

It is a really nice clean boat that was under utilized by my old man and family in Texas. Had 28.6 hours on it, the funny thing is he will use his old boat more when he visits me in NY. My sister's family thinks there are brain eating ambias down there. My brother was to nervious to use it w/o my old man. Old man was getting tired of the upkeep and I was tired of looking for a 23ft boat with dual prop up here. So it worked out well. Kind of wish it has a Mercrusier on it. Saying I own a 350 MAG sounds a lot cooler than saying I own a Volvo. Bought it for $30k.

Now that I bought it my bother wants to buy a Mastercraft and my sister wants a jetski.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've a had a VP for 20 yrs, and it has never given me a Problem. I like the Cone Clutch, as it doesn't wear like a Clutch Dog does. Raw Water Pump is inside the boat, and doesn't require the outdrive to come apart or off, to replace

harringtondav

Commander
Previous 25 yr old boat was Merc 4.3LX/Alpha II. New boat is VP 4.3V5/SX.
I love the simplicity of the Alpha drive. I'm fully tooled for any repair. But the VP 4.3 had too many advantages over the Merc 4.5.: GM based 4.3 vs homegrown Merc. Closed cooling, VVT, high pressure direct fuel injection, and available at 250 hp and higher. Also I've come to appreciate the cone clutches vs. the clunky dog clutch.
OP's observation is valid. Merc variants for each drive are few. VP variants are mind boggling. You absolutely need to have engine and drive s/n's to search for parts. VP's new online catalogue has improved, directing you to your specific model variant.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Volvo serves more of a worldwide market. They have more variations.