Does This Trailer Look Big Enough For The Boat?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thinking about buying this boat. Does the trailer look a little short for the boat? I have never had a boat/trailer combo where the bunks extend out behind the trailer.

Attachments

• Bayliner 2560.jpg
    Bayliner 2560.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 49

jbcurt00

Staff member
From 1 pix, yep 2 ways:
Barely fits the beam of the boat at the wheel arches/fenders

Bow (esp pulpit) looks too close to the hitch

But those observations are based on 1 pix, that doesnt show either area very well

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bayliners at one time were and entry level marketed / priced package.-----Trailer might be the bare minimum.-----Find the weight of the boat.----Find the label / capacity on the trailer.-----Rule I go by is weight of the boat / motor / battery / full fuel tank.----Then add 50% to that for the capacity of the trailer.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Here are a few more pics. I would be driving 400 miles each way to pick it up. The trailer is only a year old if that matters.

I really like the boat and will be putting it in a slip. Just pulling it out for repairs and maintenance. I just want to make sure a 400 mile trip is safe on this setup.

Attachments

• Bayliner 2560 3.jpg
    Bayliner 2560 3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Bayliner 2560 2.jpg
    Bayliner 2560 2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Bayliner 2560 1.jpg
    Bayliner 2560 1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 44

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Bayliners at one time were and entry level marketed / priced package.-----Trailer might be the bare minimum.-----Find the weight of the boat.----Find the label / capacity on the trailer.-----Rule I go by is weight of the boat / motor / battery / full fuel tank.----Then add 50% to that for the capacity of the trailer.
Thanks. So if weight capacity is good, This setup should be OK?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks. So if weight capacity is good, This setup should be OK?
Looks like a good fit with no room to spare.1 year old is great news.grease the bearings and get a couple of QUALITY tie down straps/gunwale .(DEF NOT THE ORANGE CHEAP CRAP ONES THAT YOU SEE BUSTED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD EVERYWHERE).Make sure you use the safety chains on the trailer to the hitch and the chain to your bow eye.I like strapping down the bow to stop any bouncing that sometimes occurs.Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'd look and see if you can get a longer tongue for it, seems kinda short, but glad you made it home ok.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks everyone! The got the straps and spare and checked bearings. I will look into the longer tongue - great idea.

mr 88

Commander
After making sure that aprox 10% of your weight is on the trailer hitch I would cut the excess bunks off at the transom with maybe a inch or two extension to keep any hook from developing on the hull over time while it sits on the trailer. They [ looks like a Venture ] probably make a generic trailer to fit inboards as well. Straight inboard engines are mounted more mid ship so the hull has to sit further back on the trailer to get proper tongue weight. Hence the long bunks. I/Os because of engine location need to sit more towards the hitch.