Does this sound like excessive mechanical noise?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I finally got this motor running well! Keep in mind that it is run in a barrel so no exhaust to drown out other noises. The other day while I was letting it run in the barrel, it started to run out of gas, and was making a loud tapping noise as it died out. Almost like I spun a rod bearing.

Anyways, filled the tank back up and started her up and the sound seemed to disappear. Checked compression after a nice de-carb and it went up from 135 to 140 in all cylinders. In these two videos does it sound like there is excessive mechanical noise coming from the engine or does it sound normal? Dont want to open her up at the lake until I get some opinions. I gave it the flywheel test for upper bearing and it feels good. I also checked for play in the rod bearings and found none at all, so those were good signs!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do some research on how a VRO pump works !!-------Nearly 100% sure you heard clicking from the VRO pump !

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Wow that makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, it was coming from that side of the motor. I have studied the internals and physics of the VRO, as well as rebuilt mine, just never realized that it would make that kind of noise. That makes me feel a lot better. I never heard the noise until it was starved (accidentally) for fuel.