Does the new (2015) Tohatsu 30hp 4Str use same parts as 2014 model?

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
They look very different, followed the ETec look that most engines seem to be.
But have a 2014 30hp 4str, Im just wondering if the parts for the engine are the same and if they will keep making parts for the '14 model?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As long both models are MFS30C definitely yes. As per Paul's saying, with Tohatsu motors year is irrelevant, model is all...

Happy Boating

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know the one Im interested in is a 2014 MFS30, what does the C stand for?

Thank you

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I know the one Im interested in is a 2014 MFS30, what does the C stand for?
Thank you
Usually it's a small part mofication/update done on same HP model motor, for instance the MFS30 underwent 3 mods through the years, started with an ending A, followed by a B and now lattest C, the wot rpm range should vary a bit in between all 3 along other internal parts while maintaining same CC powerhead and HP.

Happy Boating​

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Look at the serial label and all will be clear.
Im pretty sure it reads MFS30B 3AC (isnt the best pic in the world, but its definitely not a C after 30, although funny looking font B.

So this means the parts for this model will be very different to the C model and may not be produced anymore?

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im pretty sure it reads MFS30B 3AC (isnt the best pic in the world, but its definitely not a C after 30, although funny looking font B.

So this means the parts for this model will be very different to the C model and may not be produced anymore?
Its actually an 09 engine now I have dated it, GRRRR

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 4 stroke 2009 motor calls for a MFS30B, MFS30C appeared in 2015. Would be interesting to know the parts difference if any between a 30B and a 30C. Paul being a 4 stroke man could shed a light on said topic. Still finding lots of spare parts availability for my 2 stroke 2003 motors....

Happy Boating

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Differences from 30B to C are emissions and cowl.
This would make sense, with emission changes and the newer Cowlings looking "Etec" like (but hopefully not brittle like their early models)
Tohatsu rep told me they are using part through from 2009 to 2021, but Id like further clarification, just so I know I am never going to be left high and dry with parts etc. Id have thought Tohatsu who are making a lot of the MErc 2 stroke stuff may even be doing so for the 4 strokes? (not sure, just a thought).

Yamaha seemed to have used a lot of its 2 stroke components in the mid range 4s, so much so the F25 weighs very little more. Honda have only ever made 4s, so Id think of the 2 brands with big parts availability (new or used) in the world, these 2 would be the two largest?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If not mistaken, Tohatsu manufactures Merc's 4 stroke motors up to 30 HP with their own color and logo. Which model motor are you going for a 30B or 30C ? A new motor well taken care off will give lots of boating fun years, why worry prematurely with both models spare parts.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
If not mistaken, Tohatsu manufactures Merc's 4 stroke motors up to 30 HP with their own color and logo. Which model motor are you going for a 30B or 30C ? A new motor well taken care off will give lots of boating fun years, why worry prematurely with both models spare parts.

Happy Boating
Indeed. The B was a great unit. The C is, as I said, only minor emissions (remapping of the CD) and cowling changes. Otherwise, all hard parts are identical. Actually, even the carbed A version is virtually the same, obviously aside from the fact that it was carbed.