Does the "LBS" stamped on winch reflect the winch limitations?

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I was poking around in my pics and noticed the winch stamped w/ 2000LBS, (top left of pic). Is this the limitation of the winch? The boat weighs ~4400.00. Thank you for your time.

DSC_0125.jpg

1988 Nordic Crestliner Crusader 245
1988CrestlinerDayCrusier25ft.jpg

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Does the "LBS" stamped on winch reflect the winch limitations?

Yes, that's the rated load of the winch. You're not lifting the boat, just sliding it on the trailer so I imagine your well within the winch's capacity.
Mike

Bozzy

Recruit

It looks like that winch has lost one of the mounting bolts and is about to break off the arm.

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like that winch has lost one of the mounting bolts and is about to break off the arm.

Hi Bozzy, thanks for looking and commenting. Unfortunately the boat is 100mi away and all I have for quick ref are photos. I'm not sure what the empty hole is for. The pic below shows the U-bolts bolting the base for the wench to the trailer and the wench is bolted to the base/platform. This pic was taken the day we bought and needed to move the boat/trailer. So we improvised and used the come along strap as backup since the wench strap was dry rotted. We lucked out the didn't lose the boat in tow.

DSC_0109.jpg

1988 Nordic Crestliner Crusader 245
http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/noizmaker2pb/?

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This pic was taken the day we bought and needed to move the boat/trailer. So we improvised and used the come along strap as backup since the wench strap was dry rotted. We lucked out the didn't lose the boat in tow.

Noizmaker, you should never use the winch strap to secure the boat for towing; it should only be used for loading/unloading the boat on the trailer. You should have a separate safety chain to secure the boat to the winch stand for travel.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For whatever reason winches are rated at nominal spool diameter meaning that there is hardly any cable is on the spool. Remember T = F X R so as you wind line back on the spool the diameter increases and you must apply increasing force in order to provide the same amount of torque to the spool. By the time the spool is full you might only be able to pull a 1/4 - 1/3 of it's rated capacity.

BTW: Dragging a boat up bunch on an incline requires a lot more torque than you think. I have a roller trailer and the rated pull of my electric winch is roughly 90% of the weight of the boat. By the time the boat is pulled to the post the winch is just about stalled from the load.

Triton II

Commander

Thanks Dingbat, that tells me why my wife runs out of puff when she winches!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Noizmaker, you should never use the winch strap to secure the boat for towing; it should only be used for loading/unloading the boat on the trailer. You should have a separate safety chain to secure the boat to the winch stand for travel.

Personally I use both and I think that is the best idea.

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice

I couldn't agree more with both your comments and intend to upgrade both the strap (10K) rated and add a safety cable/strap too. Thanks again.