Does my 72 Evinrude 50hp have an alternator?

christal

Seaman Apprentice
I was just wondering if my motor had an alternator or not. I have read in some posts the mention of them but not sure if mine has one.

Bluesmobile

Seaman
Re: Does my 72 Evinrude 50hp have an alternator?

pop off your hood on your motor. There should be two cylinder type things there if you have a generator. One is the starter (which you should have for a 50hp) and the other is your generator.

Mine didn't come with a generator so I rigged one up. heres a picture of my motor now. Its a 1971 evinrude 40hp

motor.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Nice answer, but not applicable. The 1972 50hp is a totally different motor. And yes, it does have an alternator.

Um, Blues, I hope you did put a belt on that generator, right?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

A 1972 50 hp may have generator coils as part of the stator assembly and a rectifier.
I think you will find that this applies to electric start models ... they they charge their battery ... but not to manual start models, which do not need a battery.

Bluesmobile

Seaman

yeah the generator came with a belt except that it was really old and fragile. I tightened the belt to the correct spec and when I started it up, it shredded.
Im not looking forward to the $60 replacement belt so I'm just waiting

christal

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again fella's as always, the information you give is so helpful. I'm new to the gas powered motors, all I have ever had were trolling motors and they are pretty self explainatory.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually, this brings up an interesting question - does his motor have an alternator or doesn't it?

The electric start, 1972 ERude 50hp motors have both a rectifier and a stator. According to the parts diagrams at shop.evinrude.com, the non-electric start models have neither of these two things.

While the presence of a rectifier, or lack of one, relates solely to the charge system, the lack of a stator would mean that there is no alternator, because the stator, in combination with the flywheel, is what makes the alternator.

So, my question is ... since a powerpack converts AC voltage from the "alternator" and the non-electric start 50s have no alternator, what "powers the powerpack?"

PS: Also, since most people are thinking of whether or not a motor has a charging system, when they ask about an "alternator," my answer to the Op would be ... "if you have a manual start, no, you don't."

???

christal

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, from what I have gathered from all the posts is......if the motor is a manual (pull) start then no it does not have an alternator and can not charge the battery it uses....if the motor is an electric (key) then it does have an alternator. I sure hope I am correct in thinking this since my motor starts with a key and has no pull start what so ever.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Look for a rectifier - it will be on the starboard side of the motor. It looks like a small, closed tube, sitting on end, on a base plate. The cylinder will be about the diameter of a quarter - maybe a little larger.It should have three wires coming out of it. One will be yellow, the next, yellow/gray and the third, red.

If you have this, you have a charging system.

???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Okay, from what I have gathered from all the posts is......if the motor is a manual (pull) start then no it does not have an alternator and can not charge the battery it uses....if the motor is an electric (key) then it does have an alternator. I sure hope I am correct in thinking this since my motor starts with a key and has no pull start what so ever.

Seems like this confusion got out if hand.

An Electric Start motor DOES Have an alternator.

A Manual Start motor DOES NOT Have an alternator. No need of one, or even a battery.

"Some" manual starts "Might" have an AC Lighting System that can be converted to a battery charger. I'm not sure if that was ever offered on that particular motor or not. If it was, they were probably for European motors.

Frankly, I've never even seen a manual start 50hp motor (except perhaps for the fat fifty of the 1950's)---Even though I was a service mechanic in a Evinrude dealership for over 20 years. I know they made them, but nobody wanted them.

Both electric start motors AND manual start motors have a "stator" under the flywheel. There are two coils on the stator that power the ignition system's power pack. There are additional coils on it as an "alternator"---but only if equipped. The alternator-equipped motor also has a different flywheel with extra magnets.

A "rectifier" is a device for changing AC to DC for charging a battery. It is an important item in an alternator system, but only part of the system.

Hope this clears some of this mess up.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Both electric start motors AND manual start motors have a "stator" under the flywheel. There are two coils on the stator that power the ignition system's power pack. There are additional coils on it as an "alternator"---but only if equipped. The alternator-equipped motor also has a different flywheel with extra magnets.

That's what I thought. What is weird, is that the parts diagrams for this motor, at shop.evinrude.com, indicate that the non-electric start motors do not have a stator. That made no sense to me, because regardless of whether or not the motor has a charging system, something has to provide voltage to the powerpack.

???

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can't imagine "Pull Starting" a 50 or 40 hp. I did have to pull start an 85 hp once because the bendix came apart. One and a half wraps around the flywheel with the anchor rope plus TWO of us pulling.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's what I thought. What is weird, is that the parts diagrams for this motor, at shop.evinrude.com, indicate that the non-electric start motors do not have a stator. That made no sense to me, because regardless of whether or not the motor has a charging system, something has to provide voltage to the powerpack.
???

Stator for electric start motors is 580809.
Stator for manual start motors is 581063.