Does EFI solve the hard start/cranking issue?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
a well-tuned Quadrajet starts almost like its fuel injected.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Lark was Electric, the Triumph was a Hydro-Electric. I always thought both were well Engineered. Clean Oil, of the right type, and keeping water out of the Case, and they would last a long time.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The Lark was Electric, the Triumph was a Hydro-Electric. I always thought both were well Engineered. Clean Oil, of the right type, and keeping water out of the Case, and they would last a long time.
The Lark's electric lines that ran between the powerhead and the lower unit were routed along the exhaust tube. They burned out every other year. After the second time OMC would not warrant a 3rd replacement. When the wires disintegrated it would not allow you to shift. The first burnout occurred just above Niagara falls. That was before cell phones and before I ever heard about towboat.

The Triumph , as reported to me by the dealer, would default to forward gear if the wires burned out. That never happened, but every time you shifted it would stall. I'm sure it was a good motor, but I could never get anyone to fix it, and I'm not in a small market - we had several OMC dealers.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Wires on the Lark went into the Exhaust Housing about 1/2 way down. If they were getting burnt, it was likely from not enough Water in the Exhaust.
The Hydro-Electric case on the Triumph, would default to Forward any time there was no Power, going to the Shift Solenoids, and/or any time the Engine stopped running. It was promoted as a Get Home Feature, but sometimes it was a Safety Risk. It's biggest Plus, was that shift was Instantaneous, which resulted in very long Clutch Dog and Gear Life, and it also allowed the Clutch Dog to have Beveled Teeth that were less likely to slip, but were not easy to disengage without some Hydraulic Assist. As a Teenager, I discovered that that Hydro-Electric Motors could be Rope Started, without a Key, and could be used. With the Prop turning, Rope Starting was a bit more strenuous, and being in gear the boat would be moving the instant it started, which wasn't really safe around an uncowled engine.