Does Anyone On Here Own A 1996 Yamaha Wave Raider 700??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in a progress of buying a 1996 Yamaha Wave Raider 700cc. I need some info on this jet ski but I could not find any out there.

Here are my questions.

Does it have the hour meter?
I believe this is a 2 stroke engine. If so, do I have to mixs the oil with gas?
Do I have to change the oil every season?
Is this jet ski reliable?

Please let me know. Thanks.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Does Anyone On Here Own A 1996 Yamaha Wave Raider 700??

No reply?????

Marathon Man

Cadet

No hr meter
Yes two stroke
No, unless pump is disconnected on oil injector, then yes
No, just be sure and add enough to not run out.
I think you mean reliable, and then, it could be, depending on it's condition. If you meant realizable, then if you got the dough, probably so.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Marathon for the answer.

Trailbum

Seaman

I have a '94 Wave Raider 700..... VERY reliable, replace the spark plugs every year or two and keep on riding!!! No hour meter, so I have no idea how many hours are on it, but it runs well and is quite fast. It has a separate oil tank, so no mixing should be necessary. I absolutely LOVE mine!!!!

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks seaman for replying.

I often seeing ppl running their jet ski on land without water run through the engine. Is this normal?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've owned my 1994 Raider since it was brand new. It's been extremely reliable and I say that you can believe everything you hear about Yamaha reliability.

I've only had a few things go wrong with mine. 1. The multifunction meter got water condensation in it and it quit working. Bought a used on online and its been working for 4 summers now. 2. Exhaust pipe corroded through due to saltwater boating where I live. Even though I flush thoroughly after every saltwater ride, you just can't get all the salt out and I had to have the crack TIG welded. No problems since. 3. This summer the start/stop switch started giving me problems. I've been told that I've got my money's worth to have not had a problem with it until now. I'll probably buy another before next summer but it's been fine for the last several outings.

My ski is still oil injected. Many people convert to premix to keep from burning up a cylinder due to oil starvation. The oil injection pumps are extremely reliable. It's the oil hoses and their connections that are not! Over time, the hoses get hard and brittle as well as shrink in length. This results in an oil injection hose falling off of it's fitting and that particular cylinder burning up due to no lubrication.

I recently replaced all of my oil hoses on both of my Yamis with clear urethane hose that I purchased from http://www.mcmaster.com/ . I also used Oetiker clamps to secure the hoses to their fittings. You can google "Oetiker" for more information.

I ran 54.8mph on GPS during the Fourth of July week! Completely bone stock with the exception of a Protec ride plate. Your '96 will probably be just a bit slower.

No problem running a cold jet ski engine for 15-20 secs on the trailer with no water. 30 is probably absolute max but that's just me. If you use garden hose cooling, make sure the engine is running before you turn the hose on. Then before you shut the engine down, make sure you turn the water off first.

Engine on. Water on. Water off. Engine off. Don't mess this sequence up!

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Danny, Great info. I will make sure I follow your instructions.

Andre900

Cadet

I'm in a progress of buying a 1996 Yamaha Wave Raider 700cc. I need some info on this jet ski but I could not find any out there.

Here are my questions.

Does it have the hour meter?
I believe this is a 2 stroke engine. If so, do I have to mixs the oil with gas?
Do I have to change the oil every season?
Is this jet ski reliable?

Please let me know. Thanks.

This is a pretty old thread. But, yes, I ride a '96 Yamaha WaveRaider 700 and it's been a blast. I bought it in '11 off Craigs List for $850. It ran very well during a lengthy sea trial, but shortly after I bought it the motor would bog down and it wouldn't crack 20 MPH. I had a carb job done and it's run great ever since. I was clocked at 44 MPH top speed by a new SeaDoo running along side me. I ride this ski twice a month year-round on the Intracoastal in FL, and haven't had to do anything to it other than the carb job in three years. Starts right up every time and never left me stranded.

There is no hour meter. It is an oil-injected two-stroke. There is no crankcase oil to change in a 2-stroke. It's been very reliable to me and well worth the $850 (+ $300 carb job).

Elliottinc040

Recruit

I have just been given a 94 waveraider. Is there any chance that someone has an owners manual they can sell me/copy a few pages to send me? What's the lever on the left front next to the start button?

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have just been given a 94 waveraider. Is there any chance that someone has an owners manual they can sell me/copy a few pages to send me? What's the lever on the left front next to the start button?

I also have a 94 wave raider 700. I bought it in 2009 for $1200. It runs great, almost better than I could hope for. I let it sit for 4 years, drained the fuel tank and refilled with fresh gas, without even draining the carbs it fired up after a few attempts. The lever is part of the ride trim system. You press the lever and twist the grip and it has 2 positions up and down. It just slightly aims the jet nozzle up or down. I rode mine for the first time this season today and it tops out at 50 mph.

Trailer-boats

Recruit

This is a pretty old thread. But, yes, I ride a '96 Yamaha WaveRaider 700 and it's been a blast. I bought it in '11 off Craigs List for $850. It ran very well during a lengthy sea trial, but shortly after I bought it the motor would bog down and it wouldn't crack 20 MPH. I had a carb job done and it's run great ever since. I was clocked at 44 MPH top speed by a new SeaDoo running along side me. I ride this ski twice a month year-round on the Intracoastal in FL, and haven't had to do anything to it other than the carb job in three years. Starts right up every time and never left me stranded.

There is no hour meter. It is an oil-injected two-stroke. There is no crankcase oil to change in a 2-stroke. It's been very reliable to me and well worth the $850 (+ $300 carb job).

I'd like to second ABOVE comment, raise a Glass to Yamaha and update the thread to 2018!

Yup, This IS a pretty old thread but, the ski is even older. Hence, the need for old Skis, Knowledge, People and Threads!

But, yes, I ride a '96 Yamaha WaveRaider 700 (701 single carb) and it's NOT A WAVE BLASTER but, IS a blast.
I bought in '09 off Craigslist too for only $650 So, No need for sea trial but, after a while the RUN position runs outta Gas after less than an hour (No Fix Yet).
No carb problems it's run great ever since. GPS 53 MPH top speed. I ride this ski about twice a Year Intracoastal in WA and had to do nothing to it other than a crack in the front (I bought it with), New Battery in 2014, Gas? I drain the tank plus suck the dirt/water out every year, Oil +WD40 everything +kill it with Oil, Run in a Lake after salt water and Wash Both +Trailer. Starts right up every time and never left me stranded (Never put spark plugs in but, has 155# of compression both cylinders even) .
I recommend the 700 over the 1100 (plus 200 pounds and everything else to date) for Reliability, weight and extremely good fuel economy! No, I am not green and
I don't really care about buying a bunch of fuel but, I do care about running out of Gas. I run all day, till I can't stand anymore and this ski still has a Half tank in it! Yes, I've ran a 07 SuperCharged KAW Ultra250 outta gas, 15 gallons or more gone every half hour and a very embarrassing way loud low fuel alarm or tow all the way back to the Boat ramp every time!

Also, look at the numbers 53MPH vs 1100 58MPH, who cares!

Cons;
A little small to float two people but, once the engine is running there is plenty of power to keep all outta the water and actually rides two very well. There is no hour meter. Only has an Oil light for gauges.

Pros;
Has a great hood which buckles down to seal water outta the engine compartment others just have the seat to cover the engine. It is an oil-injected, two-stroke, two cylinders (Did I say light weight?). There is no crankcase oil to change in a 2-stroke but, ya do need to keep putting enough of the Yamaha, Mercury, Johnson/Evinrude Oil in +top off every tank full. It's been very reliable to me and well worth the $650.

Question; Anybody wanna sell me a Fuel valve (Switch from RUN to Reserve)?!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.