does anyone know?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
i just checked all my hoses for the cooling system. all is fine. except this. i ran water through every hose . and the last line was to the exhaust manifold. i heard some drips. so i started to look around. low and behold this happened. does anyone know if i need to replace this or somehow tighten hit up? without breakin it off......

Attachments

• IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 39

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like an open petcock to me that was opened during winterization.

Does the brass lever turn at all? I can't tell if its a 90 degree shutoff or multi-turn.

southkogs

Staff member
Did you run this boat last year? Or is this a new-to-you boat?

I believe you're showing one of the drain valves to drain the block for winter storage. It needs to be closed. I was always able to turn mine by hand, but maybe you'll need a little extra pressure with a pair of pliers. - But it's doing what it's supposed to do when open.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
instead of turning it, can you flip the little piece that is sticking out to the left in the picture up? Or, perhaps there are threads on the inside of that piece where another plug would screw in? Definitely appears to be a drain from winterizing the engine.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Did you run this boat last year? Or is this a new-to-you boat?

I believe you're showing one of the drain valves to drain the block for winter storage. It needs to be closed. I was always able to turn mine by hand, but maybe you'll need a little extra pressure with a pair of pliers. - But it's doing what it's supposed to do when open.
first time starting it was this year, (new to me). i will try using pliers. thank you

rolmops

Vice Admiral
What you see there is a petcock. It is a drain plug that is in there so you can drain the manifold for winterizing.
I would take it out all the way and take a piece of bend wire to make sure there is no muck above it . It either was not tightly closed or the rust and muck sort of plugged it up. Before you try to loosen it just spray some wd40 around it and let it sit till tomorrow before you loosen it up. Then screw it out clean it out and stick the wire a little ways into the hole that it came out of, to see if there is gunk. If there is ,start the engine on muffs with the petcock out so it will flush. Then screw it back in , nice and tight, and you're all set.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
It's not. There are two types of petcocks
well here it is. and no inner thread on bottom. just what you see . i tried to close it but it wont stop the water flow. am i missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
well, i put the plug back in and tightened it as tight as it would go. and still does not stop the draining of water. . what next?

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like there is a seat the tapered portion of the brass part you show engages with. The internal seat could be heavily scored which would explain why it won't seal (metal to metal). Can you see inside of the hole? Can you verify a tapered mating seat is in there? Is the thread on the part you removed straight or tapered like a pipe thread? I suspect it's a straight thread.

Mark

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like there is a seat the tapered portion of the brass part you show engages with. The internal seat could be heavily scored which would explain why it won't seal (metal to metal). Can you see inside of the hole? Can you verify a tapered mating seat is in there? Is the thread on the part you removed straight or tapered like a pipe thread? I suspect it's a straight thread.

Mark
straight thread. unless i take the manifold off there is noway i can look into the hole. and at this point without having funds to get a gasket set, i really dont want to be taking anything off the engine. any other suggestions? as to what else maybe i can do to block this hole? can i solder the hole shut? and when winterizing just take the plug out?

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Remove the seat portion on the left in the photo above and replace it with something like this.....

1683335697195.png

airshot

Rear Admiral
Remove the seat portion on the left in the photo above and replace it with something like this.....

View attachment 378648
I would update with a plug like the one shown, these work better. Do clean out that hole really well, probably some rust particles stuck in there causing issues...common problem...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
well, i put the plug back in and tightened it as tight as it would go. and still does not stop the draining of water. . what next?

Based on the photos you've provided it appears to me the seat portion of the petcock assembly is missing. The "wing nut" (movable) portion pictured threads into the seat portion (stationary). The seat portion is pictured in post #14, item in the left of the picture.

Your pictures of the movable item show signs of rust as if it has been threaded directly into the manifold and will never not leak becuase it is hollow and not seated. Brass does not corrode like that, only steel/iron oxidizes that way.

Quicksilver makes a quality petcock that will thread into a 1/4-18 threaded hole. This is a standard thread size commonly found in many marine exhaust manifolds/engine blocks. The removable portion is a 9/16" hex head which allows for a standard wrench to be used for removal.

FYI, post #7 mentions "nice and tight" for installing the movable portion. I disagree due to the nature of the petcock seat along with the need to remove the plug on a regular basis. Finger tight/snug is acceptable along with inspection to ensure its not leaking with the engine running

The petcock pictured in post #16 is by far the absolute worst style I've ever come across for this application. I remove and replace this style petcock with my aforementioned style whenever I come across one

Bondo

Staff member
The petcock pictured in post #16 is by far the absolute worst style I've ever come across for this application. I remove and replace this style petcock with my aforementioned style whenever I come across one
Ayuh,..... I completely agree with dubs,.... yer missing 1/2 of yer drain fitting,....
'n when I find a drain like in #16, I toss it overboard, 'n use a plain ole brass 1/4" pipe plug,.....

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
ok, i just pulled the drain from the block. very nasty stinky water. also noticed that the petcock has a needle and screw in it. and the actuall sleeve is there for it to fit into .... 3rd and fourth pic is from the exhaust manifold. video shows the water

Attachments

• IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG