Does anyone know Vietnamese families, etc.? (My daughters boyfriends family)

Devon

Cadet
Re: Does anyone know Vietnamese families, etc.? (My daughters boyfriends family)

My neighbor is from Laos, he came over as a refugee in the early 70's as a child. He was born on 4Jul67, the son of an ARVN soldier. When the North came South his family was brought here. <br />This fellow is my best friend and cannot be replaced. Impatient with inefficient and incapable people, yes he is. His culture also has a very different work ethic than a lot of western people, they are very dedicated & focused workers. His culture is very into Buddha, family hierarchy (sp ?), and male dominance of the female. Don't take that to mean they are cruel or unreasonable to females, just may not listen to them or dote on them like us western folks. Loyalty to friends and family is first and foremost in their hearts and minds.<br />Just be honest with him and his family, get ready for some interesting culinary (some of them really do eat cats & dogs, but they are far & few between) adventures.<br />Like I said, he's my best friend, we hunt, fish, & drink beer together. We eat at each other's homes regularly, watch each other's kids, & watch out for each other.<br />Give him & his all the benefit of doubt you would anyone else, be tolerant of a different culture, & make friends with them.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Does anyone know Vietnamese families, etc.? (My daughters boyfriends family)

Originally posted by Chris Myers:<br /> make sure you dont drop any clangers e.g pork to a muslim etc.
I did that once!<br />I was in Kuwait and ordered breakfast in the hotel. When they brought out our food. My first comment was "Hey, where's my bacon?"<br />Then I got hit upside the head by one of my partners.<br /> :D <br /><br />oops.<br /><br />AK Chappy

ezbtr

Commander

Thanks guys. Yeah I do just want to learn about his culture, etc. Just gonna put my best foot forward and see how it goes. As long as he is respectful(he can't help being "dumb", he's 21!! :) )then I figure thats a good start. Heinz

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome perspective.<br /><br />Good luck.

11 footer

Lieutenant

We had a few Vietnamese families rent aparpments from us in the past. They where VERY good tennets. They are not much for talking, but they are always on top of things, like paying the rent. They are very clean people. They kept a nice house, they would all actually take off there shoes off and line them up in the hallway outside the front door. The spanish slobs living in the rest of the building ran them away, but they where great to have renting from us.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

My brother in law is from Thailand. He appears very serious, but is a great man. His sense of humor is very serious and subtle, but if you pay attention extremely funny. <br />Best thing to do is be yourself. Remember he is thinking the same of you. Invite him in, and let him join your family. If you try to adjust to him, he will be offended. Their family is usually very important and respect is important. He will respect you, your family and your home along with your customs. <br />I would be more concerned about the california background than the nationality! J/K.<br />Let your daughter explain culture or beliefs if needed. if they continue their relationship they will need to work this out anyway, and probably already have.<br />Now if you go to their home, follow your daughters direction.

FSHKPR

Ensign

SPANISH SLOBS ???

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just Ryan being Ryan, FSHKPR.