Does anyone else think this looks fishy?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Does anyone else think this looks fishy?

Could be nut then again it could be a diamond in the rough.<br /><br />Bob

Homerr

Commander

Strange indeed.<br /><br />Looks to me like there's some 'Ebay fee avoidance' going on there. <br /><br />Don't blame him a bit. If he was to sell at $4k, EBay would get a chunk of it.<br /><br />H.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldnt part with any money at all until Id seen it and could verify who it is. But there are strange reasons people sell things so you never know. What are the possible things that could go wrong if you only paid on receipt. The main one is whether its stolen not.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

one more cast

Captain

Ask the seller if you can come and see it. If you get the run around then forget about it. Sounds fishy to me. As I said before, I once clicked the pre approved bidder link and got an email from a person other then the ebay seller. I did the (ask the seller a question thing)on the right side of the page and ask about the motorcycle auction and was told "I don't have a motorcycle listed"

Laddies

Banned

The pictures look like a dealership try to get someone in the door

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by laddiesservice:<br /> The pictures look like a dealership try to get someone in the door
Agreed. Only under certain circumstances would I buy a high ticket item from a person with "0" feedback.<br /><br />I'd email Ebay about it Roscoe.

sangerwaker

Commander

Could be fishy, But I think it is an ebay newbie and was avoiding fees by bot putting a reserve. If you are interested, roscoe, contact him and ask to set up an appointment to see the boat. As OMC said, if he gives you any guff, forget it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Too fishy for me.<br />Too big and fancy for me, too.<br />I was thinking hacked account myself, till I saw the "0" feedback.<br />But the $4000 ????<br />He could sell that to any dealer or at any bar for $4000.<br />$10,000 would be a deal on that boat.<br /><br />ebayers must be getting smarter, as he still has no bids.<br />Or he is scamming a dozen of them by email.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Wow that's a beauty! I'd look real good on that pretty floating piece of heaven. Oh... honey? You got $100? :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

looks fishy indeed..<br /><br />those 17' DC Smoker Crafts are cramped boats anyways roscoe.. no room for anything in 'em!<br /><br />I have a buddy that bought one on a whim and he regrets it.. once you get two people in it with tackle/rods/net/cooler and such you can't turn around w/o steppin' on something.<br /><br />$4k would be a deal tho!.. a good trade-in purchase :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Here is what would happen if you responded to become a 'pre-approved' bidder. You would not hear back from him till the auction was over. Then he would request that you send him the funds via Western union.<br /><br />Keep an eye on this one, it will also go 'Poof'

NathanY

Commander

this is the email he sent me:<br /><br />Dear Sir,<br /> <br />Thank you for your interest. First of all you should know that the boat and the trailer is in excellent condition, mechanically and esthetically intact, no damages, no hidden defects.<br /> Although my ebay account was initiated in United States, I'm located in UK for the moment and I'm willing to ship the boat from here through Lufthansa Air Cargo and cover the shipping and insurance fees to your location. The total price is $4,000 (shipping included). The price is low because I need some money to rearrange a store here in UK, and I thought selling this boat on Ebay would be a good idea. <br />I would like our deal to be supervised by eBay Square Trade. I prefer to receive the payment by wire transfer and this way I can arrange the shipping the same day that I validate the transfer. In case we have a deal I will notify eBay transactions department so they can inform you about my reliability and how we can proceed with this transaction in a 100% safe way.<br /> If you are further interested in purchasing the boat (it has a clear title) please let me know your full name and address as soon as possible, to start an eBay secure transaction, in which you will be 100% protected. <br /> <br />I'm waiting your reply in order to go on with this deal,<br /> <br />Thanks, <br /> Stanley Buchan

cmyers_uk

Emailed the guy, told him Im in the UK and want to come and see the boat. I know its a con but hey lets see what he says.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

this should be good CM ...

cmyers_uk

The listing has been withdrawn by ebay now.

cmyers_uk

Out of interest could somebody explain to me why Western Union is singled out as a bad way to wire money is there something different about how they do things.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Because Western Union can only track the money while they have it. After someone picks it up, or transfers it to another location, it has disappeared.<br /><br />Weird, after WESTERN Union fees, he would have only netted a little over $3000. Maybe he was working on volume sales.<br /><br />Was it one of you that notified ebay?