Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does anyone else go out alone? I've just about had it with my friends...

i learned a long time ago, to have my boat and trailer rigged so i can handle both alone. even if you have some one along, 1/2 the time they are no help.

i personally perfer being alone. inflatable vest, hand held vhf in the pocket. i have a friend that is would love to fish with, but he always brings is bratty kid. just once i would like to throw him overboard for not listening. thus his Dad now gets left at home.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I go out alone fairly often. I didn't for the first 2 years I had my boat because I didn't think I could handle the launching/loading by myself. When I first did it myself and it was no big deal it was kinda liberating! I think I prefer some company though.

cribber

Lieutenant

The Mrs and I go out every weekend on the local lakes. We've taken couples out with us, but mainly its just the two of us having a blast cruising. No hassles of who needs to bring what.. she packs the cooler, I pack the boat and warm the engine on muffs in the driveway. Then its off to the ramp for a day of fun. Doesn't get any better for the two of us.

salty87

Commander

we'd have to leave the dogs at home to bring people....that doesn't happen very often.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like OP's aggravation comes from the type of guests. The key is to invite people who are also boaters (or who fish). They will be more likely to understand things like cost of gas, being on time, helping rig and load, and unload and clean, cut bait, bring iced coolers (or just ice!), the importance of tides, that weather changes (and to be ready for it) and that stuff happens on the water and you can't always be back on the dock (or on the road) at a certain time.
People who go camping (real camping) and hunters understand these things, too, and make good company.
I sometimes enjoy taking newbies out and showing them the ropes but it's more work for me. Same with taking children. It's more relaxing to take veterans. Which includes me.
I can't stand taking the oblivious ones, though. The ones who won't lift a finger to fend off when you approach a dock but just sit there. Who won't offer to drive so I can rig the baits. Ballast, I call them, and some aren't that good at being ballast!

ziggy

Admiral

usually it's me and the gf. but sometimes she don't wanna go though. like yesterday for example. so i went myself. forgot my camera. but did take my cat along for the ride. we had a good time, nice and quite and peaceful. listened to the waves lapping at the hull. soaked up a little sunshine. she had some kitty yumyums, i had a diet coke or three. was great....
i don't usually make any plans to go. just get the itch, load up and go. so not much forewarning to take anyone along....

i've never been one to take a crowd along. 19' gets pretty small with many folks onboard. max capacity for me is six. i've had 5. and that was too crowded for me. 3's ok. but two is better... and by myself is fine too....

(real camping)
is that like pulling up on the beach somewhere on the missouri river and calling it a night? total isolation. totally on your own w/o any input other than the surrounding nature? better have what ya need or ya go w/o. i hope to do that in two weeks with luck... ;)
i've not decided if i'm gonna sleep onboard or take a tent yet. i've done the tent before but have been having real good luck sleeping onboard at the local lake. i'm thinking it's time to try that idea on the river too..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I want to see a pic of your cat on the boat

ziggy

Admiral

sure, she's my sazzyazz.... that's her name.. ;)

IMG_2207.jpg

snoozing in 'her' cuddy (closed bow speed boat)

IMG_4460.jpg

relaxing up ft...

IMG_2303.jpg

after looking out the window to see what's up.. :eek:

IMG_2296.jpg

she likes it better being totally closed i think. nice and secure...

i suppose most think i'm crazy. but i don't have a dog and when reading about boats i here of the ships cat. but never the ships dog. so i figured i'd see how it goes...
so far... it generally takes her about an hour to get used to it, then she's up for relaxing..

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I fish most of the time, so 95 percent of the time I am out alone.
Don't mind taking people out with me, but I have a couple of rules. You have to know how to bait your own hook, and you need to know how to take a fish off the hook if you catch one. Sadly, most of the people I know can't, so...I never invite them or I brush off their "requests."

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

what did you do to your friends..lol j/k I have the opposite problem everyone always want to go out on the boat but I only like to take 3 or 4 ppl because I like to have my room on the boat.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

sure, she's my sazzyazz.... that's her name.. ;)

IMG_2207.jpg

snoozing in 'her' cuddy (closed bow speed boat)

IMG_4460.jpg

relaxing up ft...

IMG_2303.jpg

after looking out the window to see what's up.. :eek:

IMG_2296.jpg

she likes it better being totally closed i think. nice and secure...

i suppose most think i'm crazy. but i don't have a dog and when reading about boats i here of the ships cat. but never the ships dog. so i figured i'd see how it goes...
so far... it generally takes her about an hour to get used to it, then she's up for relaxing..

fyi, leashes on your cat and on the boat.. ppl typically try to stay away from thoses types of ppl loses that cat bud. Your kinda on the right idea but wrong puss....y

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

hahaha cat on the boat is awsome... i wish i could take mine out....

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Whether it's just boating or fishing, I really prefer to have someone else along. It just seems to be more fun. (ESPECIALLY if it's my daughter.)

However, sometimes no one else is around so it's off I go. "Home Cooking" seems to have nailed it. Who you bring - and how they act - can make all the difference in the world. Having an extra set of good eyes on board can sometimes be a good thing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Ziggy your boat looks awesome. Good job on the restoration (or preservation if it's original!)

jbfisher

Cadet

Don't get out very often so I generally only fish with a select few buddies or my dad. The ones that take it seriously...otherwise I would rather go alone if I have to worry about going back early or any other issues. Nothing more relaxing than doing some fishing by yourself though. If we are going cruisin it's a differant story. Don't mind who comes along then. Just fun in the sun!!

77GALAXIE

Cadet

Could make skiing difficult. Sounds to me that you need an audience. Sometimes you need to go it alone to discover who you really are. When that day comes you will truly have more to offer those around you and they wont miss a trip. Be your own trail blazer.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same problem with friends they all want to go but nohbody wants to get wet. If we fish they really don't know what they are doing so it gets annoying. In Ohio your supposed to have a spotter over ten in the boat for water sports so we have to take somebody if we want to tube. They are usually late when showing up. Now I just send a text saying truck leaves at such and such time first four to respond get to go, if your late your driving yourself I'll be on my way. Most friends just want to do laps around the lake all day.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well here is what all those lame asses are missing out on :)

Just took the ski for a cruise around the islands...........gonna go pull up to one soon and have some lunch!

5809_667568709881_9011533_41030833_6106848_n.jpg

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Friends? what friends?